1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD issues on '04/'05 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Strafgod

Strafgod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: MFD issues on '04/'05 Prius

Scott,

I pm'd you but I haven't heard back. I definitely want it. I can paypal you or send you a check.

Feel free to call my cell at 310-613-2125 to make arrangement.

Thanks, I'd be thrilled to replace my MFD by the legendary Hobbit guinea pig!

Larry

2. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

Hi All
    [FONT=tahoma,sans-serif]I live near Maidstone in Kent, England. I bought a NHW20 rhd Prius in December 2003, allegedly the first sold here in Kent, and it has performed flawlessly ever since, until now. In the last few days I have experienced intermittent mfd failure, precisely the symptoms outlined by Hobbit - the screens are still there, but no information is getting through. No temp., no arrows, claims that the AC is disconnected and audio off, even though they aren't.

I read through the Priuschat thread, and Hobbit's repair (the man is awesome, isn't he?) and I am not sure I can do that. I probably can remove the unit though. However I think my first plan is to approach my local dealer and if necessary Toyota GB and see what they say. My car has an 8 year warranty covering the "hybrid system" so it is possible they will repair it under that, though I am not confident. If not, I will argue that this is a manufacturing defect, subsequently corrected, and therefore their responsibility.
    To help with this argument, is anyone aware of any official Toyota documentation at all covering or relating to this problem? US, Japan or anywhere? It would make a huge difference to my case!

Edited to add: OK, I have now found TSB EL002-2005. This covers precisely this problem. The bad news is, it says it is covered under the 3-year/36k warranty. Anyone had any success with out-of-warranty repairs?
    [/FONT]

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Jerry,

Any good electronics technician can do the "Hobbit" MFD repair for you. Check at the local Tech or Engineering schools. The key word to use in asking for help is "Surface Mount Soldering".

JeffD

4. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

Thanks.. it looks as if I have in fact found a volunteer who will help me with the repair.
    Meantime, I have also been talking to the local dealer. They say that the cost of a new mfd is £1690, which after reference to Toyota GB customer services, they say they will sell me for £845, + £60 to fit it. £ not $, note - it comes to about US$1450.
    I am considering my options...

5. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

Well, a friend of mine has helped me to remove the offending part and has resoldered it. It was apparent that several of the pins had been pushed out of alignment and the solder had cracked and become friable.
    I am please to say that so far the repair has worked and the car is now functioning well... :)
    I am extremely grateful to him and also to Hobbit whose pioneering and painstaking research made the repair possible.

6. Strafgod

Strafgod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Got a little problem. I recently replaced my 86110-47070 with the 866110-47080 that Hobbit himself had examined and repaired when he created his now famous "Evaluation and Repair of a Failed Prius MFD". It worked, but no bluetooth or voice command and a 2 second high pitched beep after ignition, and the audio and climate buttons were non-functional. When I removed the non-functional 47070, I noticed that it had an extra wire than the 47080. It appeared to be a ground wire, but it didn't appear to connect to anything. I did my very best at reflowing the solder at 58 and 60, but when I replaced the 47070, I got the red triangle of death.

I put the 47080 back in, but could I have made an error by not knowing what to do with that extra wire?

Love to hear ideas on this, because I find it hard to believe that my meticulous little foray into reflowing the solder could have made my 47070 *less functional* than it had been before I touched it.

Thanks, gang.

Larry
    2004 Salsa Red Prius
    55,000 mi.

7. Strafgod

Strafgod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  8. Chris Franks

Chris Franks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

It sounds like be http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-...9-combination-meter-intermittent-display.html.

It's NOT a heads up display. We in the US won't have that even as an option until MY2012.

10. Strafgod

Strafgod Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

Here are two fine pictures of the mystery wire. They were posted in June by Twally. Can anyone tell me what it attaches to, if anything?

Thanks,

Larry (Strafgod)
    2004 Salsa Red Prius
    55,000 miles[/QUOTE]

Well, I can supply the answer now. There is a little circular connector on the other end of circuit board that the main connector connects to. The mystery wire has a round tiny button - seems to be a single wire with a ground - that snaps into the circular connector. Probably carries phone communications.

I was lucky to find a 7071 on ebay at a reasonable price and now I'm fully functional. Whew.

As a result, I now have the 7080 that Hobbit repaired and I can attest to the fact that it is fully functional. $100 plus shipping if anyone is interested. It can replace the mfd in a 2004 package 5 Prius. I also have my 7070 that failed in my car and my attempt to reflow the solder was unsuccessful. No reasonable offer refused on that one...

Thanks,
    Larry Corsa (Strafgod)
    2004 Red Salsa Prius
    55,000 mi

11. mmx2

mmx2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For statistic purposes )))
    Owner of 2004 Prius, Canada. Has started to experience MFD issue September 2011. Toyota refused to cover anything. Thanks to this community re-solder two pins, despite wasn't able to find any crack and problem has been resolved.
    Good luck!!

12. Ellets

Ellets Seaside Pearl

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am experiencing MFD failure but I have a 2008. Is this unheard of??

13. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not any more...

14. Katsu Curry

Katsu Curry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I have a 2004 and my MFD died a lingering death on me. I used hobbit's instructions to remove the MFD, took it to a local electrician and showed him exactly what to resolder and fixed it for under a hundred bucks rather than the 600+ the dealer wanted to get a new one.

Hobbit's excellent teardown page is here:

Prius MFD

(Thank you AGAIN hobbit).

Don't be afraid to do this, even if you are a newbie. The panels come off reasonably easily. If you are worried at all about the electronics parts, just look up electricians or electrical repair locally and take the whole unit to them.

Good Luck!

15. DeeTrumpet

DeeTrumpet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've re-soldered three of these this year (my own car in March, then two others within the past two weeks), successfully. It's not difficult -- the key seems to be to rig up a tiny enough point on the soldering gun and to use a 40x jeweler's loupe to see what you're doing.

I live in Los Angeles and Oakland, and I'm willing to work on these on a friendly basis, but with no guarantees. [email protected]

16. SamEvans

SamEvans New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Just had my mechanic follow hobbit's instructions (had my company's tech lab do the soldering for them) and it WORKED!!!! Total damage: 3.5 hours of labor ($420); not bad.

hobbit, you are a hero to this community! THANK YOU!

17. JimKelly

JimKelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

INTERMITTENT 2004 NAV MFD AVAILABLE

Had a used replacement MFD installed, so I have a 2004 Intermittent Nav MFD with bezel, buttons and clock available from Columbus Ohio. No reasonable offer refused.

jimkelly4 at gmail

18. imwoody36

imwoody36 the prius parts guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    folks...I have received some prius mfd's for repair that have been destroyed by amateur repair attempts. please be aware that the penalty for failure is mfd replacement.
    just FYI. also I have a collection of mfd's with a circular crack on the resistive touch screen...this is from a suction cup!....NEVER DO THIS.
    replacement glass from Asia has not worked as the ribbon cable is wrong/too short.
    as a reminder we warranty our repair and replace components for only 325 dollars.
    thank you to everyone who has posted.

19. satwood

satwood Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

IMWoody36 - I have a 2007 Prius. When I loaned it to a friend she put her GPS right on the touchscreen and produced the exact crack ring you are referring to. I replaced my MFD with another from a salvage Prius. Did you say you have found new touchscreen glass that would work? They are resistive screens and the tails can be extended without any electrical issues. We would just need to find the right ZIF connector to use to attach to the existing tail and then solder wires onto the leads of the connector. I suspect this would save people a lot of money. PM me if you are interested in talking about this more.

Steve

20. andrewhurstca

andrewhurstca Junior Member

We have a 2004 and a 2008, its the 2008 (with 180,000 km) that suddenly has no MFD. Everything else seems to work fine (except the handsfree Bluetooth which I assume is part of the unit).

What I am wondering is if the problems and solutions detailed for the earlier MFD units are esentially the same for the later ones?:confused:

Thanks, Andrew