1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD issues on '04/'05 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by efusco, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Re: MFD issues on '04/'05 Prius

I have a 2006 Prius with 96,300 miles. I was driving from Washington, PA to Cincinnati, OH. 3 hours into my trip my MFD quit working. The unit was lit but it could not communicate with the car. I pulled over at the next rest stop, turned the car off for a few mins then turned it back on and all was good.

Does this sound like a one time issue or the beginning of an imminent MFD failure?

Input is greatly appreciated!

Mylar

2. Mylar

Mylar Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited

No problems with my MFD on the return trip from Cincinnati, OH to Washington, PA this evening. I think the reason for the issue the other day was that the unit overheated. I had the heat on Hi for 3 hours of driving plus the MFD was putting off some heat of it's own.

Hopefully I won't need to shell out any $$ for another unit.

Mylar

3. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Boy, your heater must be more powerful than mine. That aside, heat is a common cause of electronics failure and not terribly predictable. I've never had an MFD failure on my 2005, and in the Florida summer the car is often baked in the sunshine. Even with the giant SolarShield in the windshield, the interior gets up to well over 100°F now and then. I hope your recent experience isn't a precursor of more problems to come -- keep us posted.

4. Sprocketnose

Sprocketnose New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two

HI All,

I have a 2005 Prius and I'm having major MFD issues. I have sent the unit in for repair to have the solder work done that was mentioned on this site. The issues still seems to be there and have sent it back for a 2nd time with no luck.

Anybody know if it could be a issue with the Car and not the MFD? Could it be the 12V battery? I'm at a loss on trouble shooting at this point and I don't want to take it to a dealer.

My symptoms are flashes between Lexus/Toyota with lines through the image. At times it will just cycle and not show anything. It will also at times display partial consumption screen but not the MPG or miles driven on the tank.

Any help pointing me in a new direction would be huge.

Thanks in advance.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Since you're asking, you can test your 12 volt via http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/73400-weird-stuff-happening-mpgs-dropping-test-battery.html. Do it after the car has sat for many hours or overnight. Tell us the voltages at each step.

6. EazyMack

EazyMack Intelligently Designed

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Been having issues w/the MFD on my '04 ever since taking the car into the dealer to have the water pump replaced (per recall notice) a few months ago. It's been on the fritz ever since picking it up from them, but they deny any possibility that they may have something to do with it, and offered to replace it for some standard cost (upwards of $900?).

The MFD works very sporadically, and it's not just the MFD... it's pretty much all controls at the front end, including steering wheel buttons & the radio. Sometimes things are responsive, sometimes they aren't, and sometimes they are extremely delayed in response. Often times when we are listening to the radio, it may cut in and out every few seconds, or we may not be able to adjust the volume or the station.

All of this is terribly annoying, as one could imagine. I don't understand why this happened so suddenly, and why it's so sporadic. Will replacing the unit really fix everything?

7. EazyMack

EazyMack Intelligently Designed

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Silly me, I checked the previous page of this thread and found this link, which seems to have the solution to my problem:

Prius MFD

8. tchaber

tchaber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2005 Prius built in 12/04, purchased new in March 2005 and now with 115,000 miles. I have read this entire thread, but I am just not sure my MFD issues are the same. My issue is certain buttons on the touch screen won't work when pressed, or even worse, will enter for buttons one to two inches to the right of where I am pressing. For instance, to activate the "Display Off" button, I have to start pressing near the top left and slowly slide the pressure to the right. It activates the rightside button before I reach the center of the screen. And for NAV, if I press the "Address" button, it activates the "POI Category" button two to the right. It was really an issue yesterday when I couldn't enter an address in my GPS.

Does this sound like the same problem that is fixed by soldering? My "Info" button on the steering wheel does toggle my Energy and Consumption screens. Or should I just have the whole MFD replaced with a refurbished one?

Thanks Hobbit and all PriusChat. I have learned a lot in reading this thread.

9. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, but this problem is also something reported here once in a while. There is a possibility for the dealer to "recalibrate" the screen, but if I remember correctly this was not a permanent solution for some.

10. philmcneal

philmcneal Taxi!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i haven't read all this thread (how can i make it so i can see 100 threads per page instead of 20 per page? can't seem to find the option :(

but i might as well contribute my issues with my 04 MFD although mine is not acting up the same way as described in hobbit's web page

mine is only working half left side of the screen :S

so anywhere i tap it only works for the half left side... so example i tap bottom corner right, screen will tap bottom left for me

middle right , left middle

upper right, upper left

so basically i got 1/2 MFD touch function from the left only :D

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Phil,

You can get a tested, salvaged 2004 MFD from Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV for under $400, but check on shipping costs. Steve, the owner, generally requires that you send him your old one for refurbishing as part of the deal.

JeffD

imwoody36 and [email protected] like this.
  12. newblue07

newblue07 Junior Member

OK so this MFD thing just happened to me today and I have a 2007 with just under 60K miles. Most of these comments (I admit I haven't read every single one) seem to refer to 04s and 05s. Is it still the case that the only fix is a $3,000 replacement display unit? This is nuts.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For the problem that happened on 04s and 05s, the fix is at Prius MFD. We don't know what's wrong w/your 07's MFD, but I've heard one can get re-manufactured ones for ~$500.

14. newblue07

newblue07 Junior Member

Thank you.... unfortunately I'm not technically inclined so I wouldn't attempt this on my own. I'm getting that "check air conditioner connection" message, the beeps don't sound, and no stereo controls. When I turned the car off and restarted, it seemed to work better at first but then the message started popping up again. How can such a major malfunction happen after just 60K miles of mostly suburban driving and garage storage (i.e. no extreme heat)? Incredible.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Well, others have been able to find EEs or technicians w/soldering skills to perform the fix.

16. newblue07

newblue07 Junior Member

Thank you.... I do have an extended warranty so I'll try my luck with that.... if it works, it'll be the third time I will have made use of it on this car. I think I got a lemon!

17. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    If the extended warranty does not cover it, there are low cost options. Let us know where you are located and we can point you to a solution for about $400.`

JeffD

18. imwoody36

imwoody36 the prius parts guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    its been a while since I have had time to post, but. I still offer 04 and 05 MFD repair for only 325 dollars.
    this includes shipping and a warranty.

steve woodruff

autobeyours.com

ship your unit to me , follow these instructions
    Prius MFD Touchscreen Repair

[email protected] likes this.
  19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Steve,

NewBlue07 has an 07 with a malfunctioning MFD. Can you still help?

Jeff

20. newblue07

newblue07 Junior Member

The touch screen has been working fine since the malfunction happened two days ago. Dealer says they can do nothing if there is no problem to be witnessed (even though I told them what happened), and told me to bring it in if it happens again. If it happens again, hopefully it's during their operating hours!