1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Mileage on Your Last Tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bee13, Nov 15, 2005.

1. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The temp in Utah turned pretty cold over the last couple of days and I've noticed the MPG decreasing, though not as much of a drop as I had been expecting.

I'm wondering what everybody's MPG averages are now that winter is getting an icy grip, compared to what you average at the height of summer.

MY STATS
    Latest Cold Weather Fill-up (15 Nov):
    Odo: 8152
    Type of Driving: Mixed freeway/city
    MFD Mileage: 50.2
    MFD Elapsed Miles: 494
    Temp Range: High 20s to mid 40s
    Road Conditions: Mostly dry, some rain/snow mix

Average Summer Fill-up:
    Type of Driving: Mixed freeway/city
    MFD Mileage: 55 to 57
    MFD Elapsed Miles: 550 to 650
    Temp Range: Low 70s to mid 90s
    Road Conditions: Mostly dry

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Too early to tell here in Colorado. My last tank was a wee bit better than my first one (51.6 MPG vs 51.4 MPG by MFD and 50.07 vs 48.76 computed). However, the temps really took a dive over the last couple of days. So far thing seem about the same, but again too early to tell. Thinking about installing a block heater though.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dropped from 4.5 to 5.0L/100km (~52 to 47mpg US) and we're still above 0°C. Daily highs around 9°C or 10°C if it's raining (warm front) maybe 7°C if it's sunny.

I'm fairly certain I'm running on winter fuel cause this is a rather large drop. I had it around 4.8L/100km (49mpg) but gave up near the end. My fuel gauge bars are dropping like mad. 300-350km used to give me 5 bars remaining. Now barely 300 and it's 4 bars remaining. I can't imagine how the rest of you guys that actually go BELOW 0°C feel.

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    john 1701a, from MN, says he doesn't get below (I think, from memory) 39 MPG, and it sure goes below zero there.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Uh, my last tank was 52 mpg.

But I live in So. Cal. You guys would laugh at what *I* call cold.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, 0°F lol.

Well just filled up again yesterday. MFD showed 5.0L/100km (47), calc'd was 6.35L/100km (37mpg). Almost my worst calc'd tank (worst was 6.37L/100km). I'll average it with the next fillup since I squeezed another 3 litres after first cut off.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I filled up two days ago and the MFD showed 59.9 MPG for the tank.

It hasn't gotten really cold here yet, so it hasn't started dropping all that much.

8. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The three previous tanks were 60 mpg. The weather turned cooler and the last tank was 57.5. I struggle to pay attention to my driving and try get a better hold on good fuel economy. I will put in the engine block heater next week with the hope of slightly better fuel economy despite colder temperatures.

9. ibchawz

ibchawz New Member

I purchased my Prius on Oct 7, 2005 and only have 1500 miles. My current tank has 407 miles on it with 47.6 MPG shown on the MFD.

I see several posts listing 50 - 60 MPG. How do you achieve this? What are your driving conditions?

Much of my driving is in the city with a lot of stop and go. My drive to work is only 6 miles with mostly 35 MPH speed limits and I encounter 9 stop signs, 4 traffic lights, and 2 school zones (20 and 25 MPH). Living near Houston, the terrain is flat (our highest elevations are freeway overpasses).

My tire pressure is 40F/38R.

ibchawz

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your car is not fully broken in yet. With so few miles on my car, I did no better than what you are getting. Then, there is a learning curve of maximizing efficiency. Learn to anticipate stops and coast as much as you can while minimizing the use of the brakes.

All that being said, with a short drive, barely longer than what it takes for the engine to come up to operating temperatures, and numerous stops, you have a challenge.

Good luck.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah what IsrAmeriPrius said above. I bought my Prius last Oct (25th Oct 04 to be exact). My average was around 42-47mpg. Wait til summer. Boy will you be happy, especially since you're in Houston. Our high milers are from TX or FL. Of course there's the Doc too lol.