1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD (Multimedia Display) and buttons surrounding it are dark, not working.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by arescec, Dec 11, 2015.

1. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    When I entered my 2010 Prius I noticed that the navi screen (mdf, multimedia display, or whatever it is called) is black, complete with the buttons - as if the power has been cut. Tried restarting it multiple times but no go. Everything else is working normally.

Anybody had the same problem?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the fuse? is the rheostat all the way up?

3. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Checked all the fuses in engine bay and under dash, under dash all fuses have voltage over both ends except for two that are dead on both. So it's probably not fuses. I don't have rheostat but rather two brightness buttons next to hour buttons. I'm really hoping mfd isn't dead for good, I hav this car for less than a year, used. Anyone know if it is possible to measure voltage at the jack of mfd directly?On closer inspection the two fuses that don't have voltage on any side are tail and panel fusesWhen I turn on lights those two get voltage across. Now all fuses have voltage accross.

#3 arescec, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2015
  4. FroggyTaco

FroggyTaco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A working fuse with current flowing through it will read 0 volts when measured across the fuse terminals because there is no differential in voltage.

If you get a voltage reading between two sides of a fuse with the circuit turned on the fuse is blown or damaged.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this a non usa car?

6. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I tested it with 12V tester screwdriver. Do you know which fuses are relevant. I'm pretty sure I did all of them, engine and interior compartment. As far as i know those are relevant according to schematic:
    ECU-IG, ECU-ACC, RAD-NO1 (this one i cannot find, probably because I have a version with sliding roof and there is an annotation that this is sliding roof only).
    Any other suspect fuses to check?

It's a EU 2010 Prius HSD Executive (leather, sun roof, touchscreen display, led headlights, etc.)

#6 arescec, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2015
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, i hadn't heard of the dimmer buttons before. do you have access to any electronics repair? usually, if it is the mfd, it's just a bad solder joint. or maybe you have a bad wire connection in the harness behind it.

8. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Well, I kinda am an electronics hobbyist and computer technician by trade but I'm not going to take the unit apart before I am sure that there isn't a simpler fix in the first place. If I don't manage to find anything I'm thinking about getting it to the dealer for a check (30$/hour).

Third button from top, left to the MFD is brightness button: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/fWvv1Zxtsp4/maxresdefault.jpgAnybody know if MFD US/EU units are interchangeable?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's the big unit, i have the small one. maybe someone here with the big unit can help. is that button for screen brightness? mine is part of the touch displaydo you have the o/m? you can get schematics on line for a small charge.

10. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have schematics and will check following connectors tomorrow:
    D(L40) - 11 -> ACC
    D(L40) - 1 -> B
    F(L42) - 2 -> IG

Those should be responsible for powering the unit.
    If I don't manage to repair it in the end, I will probably put in a Kenwood or something similar, but don't want to dish out 700$ or so for something that worked just yesterday.
    Also, I have searched all over the web and not a single mention of this on a 3rd gen prius - not a single one, there were some problems with gen 2 solder #60 but that is a different unity alltogether.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hopefully, it's not an issue with the unit then.

12. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Measured the voltage across the relevant pins, everything seems allright. Unit is still pitch black and not showing signs of life :/
    A bit dissapointed that it died after 5 and a half years.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is discouraging. we have a fellow that rebuilds them for a reasonable price. hopefully you can find someone.

14. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Do you know anyone in Europe that is fixing them? It's not worth sending it to US just to get it fixed and than back, that's 200$+ just for shipping.

It started showing life while I was driving. It flickered on a few times for a few moments (less than second) and then once for about 3s, it said something about loading, don't turn off. It's making loud cracking noises when it turns on.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is off-topic, but: I guess all levels in the 2016's now have the MF'ing display?

16. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try pm ing britprius, he's a very knowledgable and helpful gent.

18. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks, will try :D

Has been dead since. Will post more updates tomorrow after a few hour drive.

19. arescec

arescec Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Even after driving for 2 hours no more signs of life. Will do a complete check and if needed teardown when I find time for it and post info here. Will probably be a week or so before I get to do it tho.

I did take it apart partially and wiggling something made it go live, so my bet is that if I wiggle it some more... :D

20. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Ah, use a bigger hammer, yes the gen2 had loose or poor solder traces, and am glad gen3 doesn't, I would love to see a photo trail when you find the culprit, if it isn't bothersome.