1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Power Flow & Consumption screens not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Launce, Apr 30, 2021.

1. Launce

Launce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Trying to nurse a 2004 Gen 2 along ...

A while back, the Energy/Power Flow screen and the Consumption screen on the multi-function display stopped working. Blank. Simultaneously. All other screens are fine.

I pulled the MFD and sent it off to AutoBeYours. They cleaned and tested the unit and said it worked fine, including the culprit screens.

So ... Is there another component that feeds only those two screens that could have malfunctioned?

Frankly, the car works fine without those screens, which are mostly for show.

But having already dropped $300 on the MFD, for what turned out to be diagnosis, I'd love to get it working properly again.

RT.LakeCharles likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Thank you for posting this. Just to be clear AutoBeYours charged you 300 and then told you the MFD was fine? :confused:

FYI : your posts are being moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. Launce

Launce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, that's my understanding of what they did. But it's based on a phone call when they got the unit in, so I might have misunderstood. At any rate, the unit tests out OK.

4. Launce

Launce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, I found the solution, browsing this site, from a hint in "Prius User-Guide (Iconic)". I'll describe it in case it helps someone else.

The guide says if you turn off the screen (Info/Display/Screen Off), you get it back by pressing (Info/Trip Info).

I guess I somehow pressed the "Screen Off" button -- although I don't know why I would.

And I guess I should have pressed all the buttons until I found one that worked. But several things confused me:

1. You would think that the counterpart button to "Screen Off" would be labeled "Screen On," not "Trip Info."

2. You would think that all screens would reset to "on" when you restart the car. They don't.

3. The screens don't come back all at once; they come back in pieces, when you invoke them. So, pressing "Climate" turns on the Climate screen, and pressing "Audio" turns on the Audio screen. But the Energy/Consumption screen(s) stay blank until you do "Info/Trip Info." Instead, you get a blank screen. Even though Energy/Consumption is the default.
    Why did Toyota do it that way? For people who are fine with Audio and Climate, when needed, but find the Energy/Consumption screens really annoying and prefer a blank default screen? I can understand that, but then again most Prius owners care about how their car works and how much fuel they're saving. That's why they bought it.

Anyway ...

I'm red-faced, but it seems to me that this is a common mistake people make. So I'm not sure why AutoBeYours didn't explain that and instead charged me $300. I'll take it up with them, now that I know it's not some other component that failed.

SFO likes this.
  5. Launce

Launce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I contacted AutoBeYours and was brushed off.

They had called me before they did the "repair" (to clear up some confusion about whether it was a nav unit), and they said it tested fine But they claim they replaced some old parts.

Caveat emptor.

At least I can see the little animated chassis on my display again ...

#5 Launce, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
  6. jul2cool

jul2cool New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base

OP, I created an account to say thanks. I had the exact same issue and this was my problem as well. I wouldve never figured that out alone. Makes little sense. lol

SFO likes this.
  7. Launce

Launce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cool. Glad my *&*()#^$* ordeal helped someone!

SFO likes this.
  8. Aloha Kathy

Aloha Kathy New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    THANK YOU. I did same where I sent in MFD to UpFix; they actually fixed it and sent back. However when I reinstalled, this screen was blank and I thought I'd done something wrong in reinstallation. Screen on = Trip Info... truly strange but I'll take it!

9. Perro

Perro New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've registered just to say thank you.

I was already visualizing myself in the Toyota service paying hundreds of euros. So unpleasant feeling.

When I pressed Info/Trip Info and the consumption screen came back to life I felt really happy.

So simple and, at the same time, so counterintuitive.

Thanks again.

10. RT.LakeCharles

RT.LakeCharles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco

mine is doing the same. did u figure out the problem?

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How is your combination meter working? Do you often (or even occasionally) have a dark dash?

12. RT.LakeCharles

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Yes a few times

13. RT.LakeCharles

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Of course now I have a bigger problem after someone left the driver's window slightly down and a super hard downpour got the interior wet. Now the car won't start at all. I only tried twice then decided to let it dry before trying to start it again. Also disconnected the battery.

14. RT.LakeCharles

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Thank u guys for the helpful info!