1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD replacement, touchscreen not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jeff Stevens, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Jeff Stevens

Jeff Stevens New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just replaced the MFD on my 2008 Prius. The original unit was unreadable due to the sunburst effect on the LCD monitor, although the touchscreen was working fine - you just had to commit to memory where the buttons were!

The installation went fine, and the new display is fully visible... but the touchscreen isn't working.

Unfortunately I was delayed in putting it in, and can't return the MFD for a refund.

I was thinking of taking the diffuser from the original unit and replacing the one on the new unit to see if this would solve the issue. Can anyone advise if the diffuser itself also has the sunburst issue? I;'d hate to go to the trouble of stripping down the first to get the diffuser and find it isn't usable.

If anyone has other suggestions as to what I could look on the new one to fix the issue please share.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I guess when the touch screen isn't working in the old days we would say what the digitizer is messed up that's like the thing on your phone screen that seems to mess up quite a bit when you bust a screen or whatever so I guess that's what's the problem there was a guy on here that replaced his screen only on the MFD with a I guess original or like same part I think it was a Panasonic screen it fit perfectly went down without any trouble I think it plugged up etc The post should be in here somewhere these cars are generally well and some areas quite plentiful I usually will have one or two or something just because

3. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just my 2 cents in case it may help (or not). I had a similar issue where in some functions my display was not responding to touch, like AC and Radio and although I would have never suspected this, it ended up being a bad JBL amplifier...replaced it and touch functionality came back fully. But this may not be your situation.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So on the regular non-toring Prius with just the WMA capable stereo without nav and as far as I know without JBL I didn't even know the Gen 2 got the JBL option then what would you have If the screen went out that is do all of these Gen 2's have a separate amplifier regardless of JBL situation or not? Seems awfully interesting that a power amplifier would have anything to do with a touch screen digitizer type of affair not saying it's impossible or anything of the sort It just seems quite interesting.

5. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As mentioned, I would have never suspected it myself. When I got the car, the radio had no sound, some otouch functionalities in the radio settings did not respond to touch and neither did some of the steering wheel buttons. I did some research and found another person who had a very similar issue and dealer replaced the JBL amp under the seat and fixed their issue. I went and found one for $30, replaced it and fixed my issue as well. All radio touch functions came back! I was already looking for a touchscreen replacement so glad I found this to be the issue.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well I guess I need to look under my seat I know I don't have nav so the DVD CD silver disc thingy that's usually down there to deal with that doesn't exist in my car however I do have the WMA capable stereo some inputs in the center console I think or something along those lines no Bluetooth I honestly don't think I have an amplifier under the seat but we'll take a look and I certainly didn't know at least I didn't think I knew that there was a JBL option in the generation two vehicle I thought that all started with the generation 3 moving forward but there was a JBL option in my sienna van in 2001 through 2003 so I guess it's possible in the Prius too.

7. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah check and let us know as the one it was removed from was 2007 and mine is 2008 and so both came with it, plus the video on youtube is showing a 2006 with a JBL amp as well.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    That's pretty cool I had no idea I really had amplifiers and separates and any of that stuff That's good to know I don't have my MFD out or touch screen out at all It's all working but I did replace it the one I had was delaminating so I found one in the 94,000 mi car put it in mind just plugged it up and everything worked just no delaminating on the screen or the digitizer coming off or whatever was happening something like tape was peeling off it

PriuSocal likes this.