1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Screen Dark.....

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by JacksonMs, Dec 11, 2016.

1. JacksonMs

JacksonMs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2012 Plug In Advanced... It has 105,000 miles. Yesterday, the screen stopped working. When I turn on the car, the Toyota Logo Will appear for a few seconds, then everything will go dark. If I put car in reverse, the back up camera will show on the screen The buttons on either side of the screen will not work now, and I can't change the station on the radio.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this? Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 6.45.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 6.46.03 PM.png

I have a 2012 Plug In Advanced... It has 105,000 miles. Yesterday, the screen stopped working. When I turn on the car, the Toyota Logo Will appear for a few seconds, then everything will go dark. If I put car in reverse, the back up camera will show on the screen The buttons on either side of the screen will not work now, and I can't change the station on the radio.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this? Is There a Fix? Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 6.45.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 6.46.03 PM.png

The Radio Station Will Not Change on steering wheel either...

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sorry for your problem. Maybe someone else has a solution based on actual knowledge, but just off-hand I would suspect a hard-drive failure. In the car or in your computer, they don't last forever.

JacksonMs likes this.
  3. JacksonMs

JacksonMs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    $2900 to replace :(

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Used on Ebay: $600 Any pro-radio shop can switch it out in a few minutes.

JacksonMs likes this.
  5. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Can you get an itemized list of everything they propose for the repair? Since your MFD can display a logo, even briefly, it's working and I would not be so quick to replace it. That would be like buying new hands when a clock stops running. Focus more on the computer that delivers its output to the MFD. Maybe that's all they ever had in mind for the $2,900. Still, it seems pricey.

6. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    One more thought and I promise to chill for a while: Working off the assumption that a random software glitch, like the wrong command at exactly the wrong time, caused the MFD to shut down, why not ask the local Toyota service dept to update or reinstall your software? If the fix works, everyone will be happy and the shop guys will all feel like they are heroes. If the fix does not work, well, they would probably need to load that software into a new HDD anyway. Maybe they can even try it on a spare HDD. The computer, itself? Wait until they rule out the HDD.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Before that try a hard reboot: disconnect the 12v for a couple of minutes. Worst case you lose all your radio pre-sets..... Umm, guess that doesn't really matter!!!! LOL

Pluggo likes this.
  8. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's been a few years; I'm wondering how you may have resolved the problem- if you are still here!