1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD stopped working after catalytic converters shield installed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by proteusmd1, Sep 5, 2021.

1. proteusmd1

proteusmd1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello. I have a 2008 with 103k on it. Really have had no issues. Took it in to get one of those Cat catalytic converter shields installed and a day later the mfd died. I’m assuming it’s total coincidence but is there any way there is wiring down that low that could have gotten compromised? Also I’m assuming that if the 12v is going I’d see other issues. Pulling it today to check connections but figured I’d post. Thanks in advance.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I installed a hybrid battery in a Prius once that had this same reaction... The failed MFD is a known problem due to a failed capacitor on its circuit board and not related to any other vehicle failure, though electronics can make it seem that way at times.

First, make sure it's not just the dimmer switch on your dash lights...

Then, if you or a friend are DIY and can take apart your dash and replace the capacitor on the board the cost of repair is the cost of the capacitor. But if you want a shop to do it things can get expensive. Also Texas Prius Battery Replacement does this service via mail if you can remove the MFD and ship it to them.

Prius_Capacitor_Repair.png

xliderider and burrito like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sometimes, reconnection of power can send a weak electrical component over the edge

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The MFD is the display in the middle of the car, where you get your radio and AC information. The thing that fails on the Prius is actually called the Combination Meter

ydpplqbd and SFO like this.
  5. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yep... anything that slightly alters the flow of electrons once that flow is at the point of failure inside the component... Kinda like cookies... You don't think they're gonna crumble but then next thing you know...

6. proteusmd1

proteusmd1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, update. Sounds like the MFD has gone but I have some other info (I've been away for a but so just driving it the last day or so). I had the 12v checked and two places said it was bad. Went to replace it, pulled it, and before buying the new one had them check it. Came up as good. Is it normal for the battery to read differently when in the car? May replace anyway. Also, after driving for quite some time, the display came up and worked perfectly. Possible that it could be a bad display still? Weird that it would work perfectly and then go away. BTW batt was reading 12.75v. Also, I pulled the mfd just to see if there was a frayed wire, bad connection, etc, nothing. Finally, the cig lighter near the passengers knee has stopped working. Might be connected might not be, but thats the info i have. Thoughts from the room?

7. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know where you live it, but it has been awfully hot in the San Gabriel valley for the last couple of months. All that heat may have baked the key capacitor just a bit too much for it to still function.

8. proteusmd1

proteusmd1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But would it come and go like that? Seems like it still works just goes black a lot.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes MFD starts out as an intermittent problem... And sounds like your 12v just needs a decent overnight charging with a competent 12v charger. Don't waste your time on cheap trickle chargers, you need some solid amp pumped into your 12v to bring it back to normal if its still capable of that.

10. docproteus

docproteus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very interesting. I took four years of electronics so if the capacitor is generally the culprit I'm game to try. Is there an online explanation of where to find it and what cap I need to buy? Much appreciated.

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a very informative thread pinned to the top of this forum

Combination Meter Repair - DIY

You might want to skip to about halfway down page 12 ff after reading the first two or three pages. There again you might enjoy reading the entire thread.

12. docproteus

docproteus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looked through there. Doesn’t seem to be much about the mfd though. Am I in the wrong place?

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All the cross-talk confusing the MFD with the CM. Sorry.

14. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try this?

Prius Maintenance and Dash Problem Solved – Gen 2 Do-It-Yourself Solution for Dash

2nd Generation 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 Toyota Prius Speedometer Dash Light Out Issue Complete Fix DIY
    How to completely fix outage/dark cluster, combination meter, instrument panel, speedometer, or dash on a 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 or 2009 Toyota Prius
    To completely fix your cluster, combination meter, instrument panel, speedometer, or dash that is going out and causing other issues such as not being able to turn off vehicle, unable to open trunk, backup camera not functioning, and forcing you to reset your Prius by unplugging the white harness by the battery terminal, which will only solve the issue temporary; follow the next steps to fix it completely and avoid paying hundreds of dollars for a simple solution. Do-it-yourself!

Heads up! You will need to remove dash and solder a capacitor in back of the speedometer, which should be a piece of cake if you follow the steps below.

Estimated time to complete the job is 1.5 to 3 hours, but make sure to take your time so you won’t break any pieces.

15. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring