1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD takes a few seconds to become visible

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pasadena_commut, Jan 10, 2020.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed the other day that when the car is turned on the MFD is initially black and takes a few seconds (5?) to brighten to the point where it can be read. The image is fine, no static or breaking up or anything like that. (It reminds me a lot of the warm up period on old tube TVs.) I don't recall it doing that before, but in all honesty, when I turn the car on I don't normally look at the MFD for quite awhile and it could have been like that since the day we bought it. There are some threads about dim MFDs, and perhaps the brightest it gets is actually dim, but I cannot say for sure until I find another Gen 2 Prius to compare it too.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It may be a bad dimmer switch the one to the left of the steering wheel or the back light is going out on the mfd.

3. pasadena_commut

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dimmer seems to work OK, no glitching in the display brightness when it turns.

This seems to be temperature dependent. When I got up pretty early and it was in the high 40's yesterday it took almost 10s to reach full intensity. Today I slept in, then puttered around, and didn't start the car until 10:30 with an ambient temperature in the high 60's and the MFD was at full brightness at startup (or close enough that I could not tell the difference.) It is acting an awful like like the old CFL light bulbs, which would start out dim and then get brighter as they warmed up.

One slightly odd thing - the 12V battery seems to be a little low again. It was 12.1V this morning when the car was started to the diagnostic mode. One more press of the power button to turn everything else on (but the motor) and it dropped to 11.8V. That seems a bit feeble for a battery that's just half a year old. So I ordered a clamp DC ammeter and will check to see if the car has developed some parasitic current draw when off.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like backlight going bad to me.

What kind of battery is the 12 volt? 11.8 is not good.

5. pasadena_commut

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed, 11.8 is too low. OEM battery (dealer installed).

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its under warranty.

But based on what I see on this site dealers are not capable of testing a 12 volt battery so it may be a tussle with them to replace it so be ready for that nonsense.

Whenever you buy a new battery you want to bring your voltmeter with you and see what the state of charge is. If its really low that means its sat on the shelf a long time in a low SOC and may not be the healthiest battery.