1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Upgrade compatibility

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mo_man, Jul 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Mo_man

Mo_man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi Everyone!

So me and my wife just got our first Prius (Gen 2) and got a decent deal on it we think $3800 with 118,xxx miles with a clean title, we were pretty against Prius's in the beginning lol but now we really like the car! It is the best option for us because we drive a lot for work and personal stuff. So it's been 3 days since we got it and have been thinking about changing some stuff and that's why this post. The MFD on our car has a few cracks on it (still works fine) but she really wants a backup camera installed because she's a little worried about backing into stuff, so my question is, the MFD's with upgrades (nav, Bluetooth, backup camera) will it work ok if we swap out our old (basic version) with the upgraded versions? I do usually work on all my cars so I'm not too worried about that, just want to know if the MFD will still operate normally if I swap it out, thank you for any input!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In a word, no. At least if you want to use stock equipment it is not plug-and-play.

It is possible if you want to strip the car back and install the required wiring.

You might be able to get some or all of the features if you use aftermarket accessory type addon products.

My advice is to find another Prius with the features you want and swap it for your current Prius.

3. Mo_man

Mo_man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the reply.
    So you're saying the connections are also different from the basic version to the upgraded version of the MFD?

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If your car has the 4 button MFD model 47081 (the very common 4 button mfd), and you install one of the 7 button MFD models, you will smoke it. Although the plugs are identical, the wire pin out (most importantly, the power wire locations) are different. Putting 12v to the incorrect pins results in pops and snaps and smoke being released.

Mo_man likes this.
  5. Mo_man

Mo_man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

Okay perfect that was what I needed to know, thank you, appreciate it!