1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MFD Works Only When Hot

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrey Kent, May 27, 2019.

1. Jeffrey Kent

Jeffrey Kent New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi All,
    I'm having an odd problem with my Multi-Function Display (MFD), or rather the problem with it is stranger than I used to think. It stopped working about a year ago -- at first just going blank intermittently during drives, then failing to start up at all. I'm used to driving without it -- the audio system and climate controls all still work fine when controlled from the steering wheel buttons.

The strange thing is that I recently parked the car in the sun and started it mid-afternoon when the cabin was hot (maybe 85 or 90 F), and the MFD started right up and was fully functional that whole drive. I replicated the temperature part of this several times -- starting the car at night when the cabin is cool, the MFD does not power on. But it reliably does when the cabin is uncomfortably hot from being in sun.

I was convinced this must be a failing 12V battery that was able to supply the necessary power for the MFD only when it was "helped" by being at a high temperature. And the 12V was in fact old, and producing sub-par no-load voltages, so I figured I may as well replace it before it stranded me. I did so, and the new battery is performing well (12.8 V when measured without the car on), may have even improved fuel economy a bit as mentioned in a few other threads on here.

TL;DR: What could be causing the MFD to start only when the *cabin* temp is high, other than the 12 V battery? Is the traction battery involved in starting it up somehow (the car still gets good gas mileage and I don't have any other signs of a failing main battery)?

Thanks for any hunches!

2. gwjohng

gwjohng Junior Member

My MFD was unreliable in cold weather and worked better when it was warm. That is until it recently when it became unusable in all temperatures.

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A cold solder connection that reconnects when every thing gets hot and expands is probably the reason. Find a used MFD of the proper part number and replace it.

fuzzy1 and Patrick Wong like this.
  4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't get as specific as a "cold solder joint". That is a particular manufacturing defect from a poor soldering process.

I'd be a bit more generic: a broken joint of some sort (cold solder as above, or thermal expansion stress crack, or mechanical stress or fatigue crack, etc.), that, yes, reconnects when hot and parts are slightly expanded.

Skibob likes this.