1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MG1 temperature

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MGpwr, May 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MGpwr

MGpwr Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Can anyone tell me how the temp for mg1 is derived? Upon disassembling an '06 t/a I found there is no temp sensor on
    the stator winding.

TIA for any info.

SFO likes this.
  2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Do you have the 06-09 repair manual? If not, send me a PM and I will reply with a link to download it.

JeffD

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    In the Repair Manual (available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com), the section for diagnostic trouble codes P0A38-257 and P0A39-259 says, “The No. 2 motor temperature sensor detects the temperature of the transaxle fluid.” This is different from the No. 1 sensor in MG2, which is in the motor assembly itself.

4. MGpwr

MGpwr Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Thanks, I'd wondered if when they talk of No.2 motor if they meant mg2, and I think that confirms it for me with the mention of the fluid temp sensor.

I don't have any trouble codes, I just am wondering how techstream derives the temp for mg1 since there is no temp sensor attached to mg1 stator, yet there are temps listed for both mg1 and mg2 on some of the data-list pages in techstream.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  5. MGpwr

MGpwr Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    Never mind, I now think the references to mg1 in techstream are probably referring to mg1's inverter.