1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MG1 vs MG2 battery charging efficiency

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by kalsifur, Apr 12, 2019.

1. kalsifur

kalsifur Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Does MG1 need more gas than MG2 to charge the traction battery by the same amount? Or is it vice-versa? Or is it the same?

2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    MG1 I think only starts the engine (just like a conventional starter does).
    In my view, it does not use gas. It only uses the energy from tour HV battery to get that done.
    Where you get more gas being used is by the MG2.
    That's the electric motor, that does the propulsion of the car.
    MG1 would used more gas, if for instance, your HV battery is deteriorated already. That way, mg1 is always trying to recharge the battery, by constantly running the ICE.
    Pls if my explanations are wrong, someone could pls, expatiate more.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    MG1 and MG2 are both intimately involved in everything the transmission does. The flow of power in either direction between them (and it can flow in either direction, owing to the clever "overdrive" or "heretical" mode) is always part of the power flow between engine and wheels. The current into or out of the battery is best thought of as simply the net surplus or deficit between the two. Trying to think of it as coming "from" one MG or the other doesn't lead to a very fruitful mental model.

Maarten28, Robert Holt and CR94 like this.