1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MG2 Resolver Reset

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by GermanPriusFan, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GermanPriusFan

GermanPriusFan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That's my problem: I have a Prius1 in very good condition and I want to drive it further. I had a burned MG2 stator and opened the transaxle. I made a mistake and removed the 3 screws of the resolver. So the adjustment is lost now. I remounted the resolver in a position I believed it was the right one, but I'm afraid it's not correctly.
    Now the stator is repaired and the car is completed. Surprise: MG2 rotates always only backward independent of the position of the selector (R or D)! I think this is a problem of the resolver adjustment. Has anyone experience resetting the resolver?
    Thanks!

2. Shaun_Collins

Shaun_Collins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your in trouble. Never heard of it being done but its factory calibration that your never ever to touch as in bad voodo, better do some hard searches. Not even heard of this on the Prius_Technical_Stuff yahoo forum that has 7025 members with some engineers and IT guys. If I can will try to scrape something up.

Sent via my LG V20 on Tapatalk

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just to rule out the simple stuff ... are you absolutely sure the U, V, W phase connections to the motor are in the right order?

Not to say that resolver adjustment isn't a problem ... I certainly wouldn't expect optimal performance until the adjustment is right (for which I have no advice, sorry). But before getting to the fine adjustments, it might be worth just checking again that U, V, W are in the right order. :)

-Chap

4. Shaun_Collins

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From Cor:
    "I noticed that there was already a MG2 photo album where I posted 3 pics several years ago when I helped swap a MG2 with a badly melted stator wiring. It even already had a pic of the inside of the MG2 cover, so now your friend has two pictures to compare to, the last picture is from a different vehicle but it is clear that the two notches in the resolver appear to be in the center of the openings in the ring that is bolted down with the 3 screws. See the pictures here, hope this helps!"
    Yahoo! Groups

5. Shaun_Collins

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If above link is problematic try this:
    Yahoo! Groups

6. Shaun_Collins

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lastly, I certainly hope you replaced the oring in the trans fliud pump pick up tube or whatever they are commonly calling it that is required replacment that cavitates the lubrication as its the primary or only verified reason for MG2 stator burnout failure and abnormal planetary gear wear outside of using incorrect Low Viscosity WS HYBRID (HYBRID meaning dielectric insulating type) rated Trans fluid. Beware WS alone in NOT good enough.

7. GermanPriusFan

GermanPriusFan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hallo and thanks for your help.
    Changing phases (in the inverter), no success, so it's not going at all, but bad noises suggest that the components work against each other.
    It's possible the winder has made a mistake (that's my suspicion), but I cannot prove it.
    After releasing the cover of MG2 I saw the traces of the long holes of the resolver on it and I mounted it in this position, but I'm not sure it's the right one...

#7 GermanPriusFan, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  8. Shaun_Collins

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you suggesting that at the factory the motor winder machine made a mistake? This is not possible given the previous correct calibration causing proper operation and passing factory testing and many miles of use prior to the maintenance you performed. Meaning that this must be maintenance induced failure. The origional problem (post MG2 replacement) at least (given you did not also either time get the phase wires out of order) must have by logic origionated in improper clocking / adjustment of the resolver.

Keep trying trial and error to tweak reclocking of the resolver until it works right and number index mark every attempt as not to repeat one. Eventually you will get it worki g correctly. Do not give up my good man!

RCO likes this.
  9. Kevin Ward

Kevin Ward New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Any update on how it went. I have almost the exact situation. Any info would be helpful.