1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MG2 Temperatures

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Gliderguy, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Gliderguy

Gliderguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recently got Torque pro and OBDlink LX bluetooth adapter. I have been studying several things about my 2012 Prius, but I have noticed that the MG2 temperature really goes up after a long climb (I drive from Phoenix up the hill to Prescott regularly, 6 or 7 miles of continuous 6% grade at an average real speed of 70 mph) I have noticed at the top of the climb the MG2 may be around 230 F. This is with moderate temperatures of around 70 to 80 degrees ambient. I am wondering if some part of the cooling system is not working correctly, or is that amount of temperature creep under a substantial load normal? It does drop maybe 20 degrees back into the low 200s before I get home, once I am out of the sustained climb. The MG1 temperature is a steady 30 degrees cooler, and even at peak-worst case, both inverter temperatures stay below 140. Anyone else have any experience in this matter?

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I monitor mg1 & mg2 religiously since the beginning of summer. My commute is mostly flat, mg1 & 2 are fairly close -/+ 5f from each other. Usual summer for my commute hour drive, 190F. With highs in the 70s now, mg1 and 2 are in the 150s

Highest was 210F driving from Sacramento to SF that’s about 2.5 hrs of driving during summer will hills going 65mph.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In your shoes, I would drive 55mph uphill if behind traffic permits