1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mice & Discount (CHEAP) Cabin Filters

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cyberpriusII, Oct 22, 2013.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have mice woes. The cute little critters love my Prius. My Prius is a bit ambivalent about the love.

The primary problem is the Cabin Filter. They build their nests atop it and have babies, defacate, urinate, etc. atop the filter.

The nice thing is that the filter keeps it out of the fan. So, I know that many folks have posted many solutions from hardware cloth on entrances to pepper spray.

Only thing that works for me (I can't afford the extreme screening solution) is bait blocks outside the car and replacing the cabin filter as needed.

However, since I last purchased cabin filters in June, prices have jumped some 35-40 percent. I like to support local business buddies, but there comes a time.

So, just to let folks know, I purchased TYC filters from EBAY. Price, WITH SHIPPING, was still a bit cheaper for TWO filters than one filter from my local parts store. I will not name my local store, but if you think about California wine regions, you may get an idea.

Never bought a TYC filter before. It was not the best filter. Probably a step down, slightly from the "wine region" ProSelect, but not by much.

Anyway, for those of you who need the "nuclear" version of the cabin filter, you probably don't want the TYC, but for those of us who have to replace this every couple of months and who realize that we get lots of contaminants from windows, etc. and that buying a fancy cabin filter is a bit of a waste, you may want to check EBAY suppliers. I received my filters in three days.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you bought something like this, I don't see a problem.

Definitely cheaper than OEM

Sorry to hear you are still having problem with the little critters.

3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By George, you may just have it....actually, I think I paid a bit less than that, more like $3.99 each, but close enough.

Anyway, the critters are still a pain, but not as much as they were four or so years ago. My cat died, so you would think the problem would be worse, but since the cat died, I have MUCHO more snakes about, so maybe they are taking the spot of the cat (the cat loved to kill snakes).....

Anyway, yes, the meeces are still hated to pieces.....

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Didn't find the $3.99 ones, but I did see this. Typical auction type rather than a fixed price. Free shipping.

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you tried a night light? I use a small 1 or 2 watt LED bulb, a candelabra type, placed under the front of the car. It is quite bright considering the very small power consumption. To a nocturnal creature, it is a real deterrent. No unwanted entry problems in this very rodent filled area.

6. N.J.PRIUS

N.J.PRIUS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The other day I had parked my Prius on a side street next to a Church. After work when I came out someone had vandalized my beloved Prius. (broke one of the mirrors clean off the vehicle) I suspect high school students coming home from school.

The next day I went to my local Toyota dealer and had this repaired "as new." $413.53. While having this repaired, one of the suggestions during their safety check was a new cabin air filter at $69.95 plus tax. I declined.

Upon coming home I went on Ebay and found a charcoal activated filter for $15.83. That included shipping. I installed it and feel there is a difference. The old filter had leaves, etc. as well as loads of dust. I had replaced it a year earlier from an auto parts store.

I had looked on Ebay and at the time did not find the filters you found. Great deal!!!!

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't use a cheap engine filter, but a cheap engine filter is just fine.

As for mice, I've lived in the Northwest, the Southwest, the Mid Atlantic Coast and now, in the foothills of South Carolina.

I've always "rustproofed" all of my cars including my current Prius"v." It seems like the petroleum odor and waxes of rustproofing are NOT well like by animals.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two