1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mice in Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Julie Mock, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Julie Mock

Julie Mock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Solution: seal off the air intake opening

I have been dealing with mice in my 2015 Prius C four for quite some time. When I first suspected that I had an issue, I tried a live-catch trap. I placed it in the back hatch area and, after two weeks without success, caught four mice all at once. I thought that they were so cute that I made a video of my releasing them at a lake a few miles away from my home. I left the live trap in the back hatch area and have caught a few more over the course of a the last year and a half, or so.

As my Prius C is my first new car in 20 years, I am really invested in keeping it "like-new" for as long as possible. Due to the mice issue, I keep my vehicle clean (i.e., OCD clean) in order to be able to quickly observe evidence of their presence. I have found poop in the cabin air filter and on the floor mats, but fortunately no damage from chewing. I got serious--and educated--about this issue after their odor started to became an issue. (I started biking to work in February 2018, and only drove my vehicle a few times per week; and when I did I started to notice a slight, but unpleasant odor.)

I researched this issue online and also purchased a two-day subscription to the Toyota Technical Information System (TIS). I reviewed the 2015 Prius C Repair Manual, particularly the chapters on Interior Panels & Trim. I learned how to remove the interior panels. I spent the better part of a Sunday removing most of the panels and disinfecting. In the process, I discovered three nests and two live mice. Unfortunately, the two mice scampered away and I could not catch them.

Now, highly motivated, I resorted to snap traps. After a few days without success, I added sticky traps (all on the floor mats and in the back hatch -- 14 traps total). I put mothballs on the top of my tire treads (...until I learned that it is illegal to do so!) and got a peppermint oil diffuser. I checked my vehicle each day for an entire week. I continued to find poop in my air filter and could hear them moving around in my headliner, but I could not catch them.

This past weekend, I removed the L and R windshield wipers, L and R front fender to cowl side seals, and the cowl top ventilator louver sub-assembly. This requires that you disengage the washer hose, but overall, the process is not difficult. Removal of these items allows access to the air intake opening (see white arrow in first picture). I covered the air intake with two layers of 1/4" galvanized wire mesh. I fastened the lower edge with screws and then sealed all of the edges with silicone caulk.

Orientation.JPG Air Intake Opening.JPG Air Intake Sealed.JPG

The same evening, I caught the two mice. I think that they had been entering and exiting through the air intake and, because they could not exit to obtain food and water, they finally went for the peanut butter in the snap and glue traps. It was horrifying to kill them, but also a relief. Now, hopefully, I've removed all of the mice from the interior of my vehicle. The next task is to keep them out! I hope that the air intake is the only access point to the interior of the vehicle.

I would like to hear from others who have found success in dealing with this issue.

#1 Julie Mock, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    bisco and skayaks like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome and well done!

we have mucho mice, but fortunately none in the garaged cars. yet. i did find a ton of detritus in the hood insulation of the truck we overwinter in the barn. i leave the hood up now.

may i ask if your car is garaged or outside?

#2 bisco, Jun 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  3. Julie Mock

Julie Mock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    We have an open carport.

bisco likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    No specific Prius c advice, but I have dealt with mice in cars before.

You can pack some steel wool in smaller openings to prevent entry. Air can still get through as needed, but they don't like chewing steel.

Got a cat, or friend with a cat? A small amount of used litter scattered around the parking area goes a long way. They smell it more than you.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Be realistic here.
    You live in the middle of farm country.
    There will ALWAYS be rodents around.
    And they will find new places to get in......or they will MAKE new places.
    A tamper proof bait station with bait blocks put near to where you normally park is the ONLY good permanent solution.
    It is a continuous battle that must be kept up.......forever......as the little buggers migrate and will re-appear as soon as the poison is removed.

6. Julie Mock

Julie Mock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I appreciate the steel wool recommendation. Will do. Thank you!

7. Julie Mock

Julie Mock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I agree with you -- there will always be rodents around, looking for warmth and shelter. I appreciate your suggestion and understand that it will be an ongoing issue. Thanks!

8. Sleplis

Sleplis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four

These damn mice really take away the joy of the love we share with our Prius's. You went down the right path closing the vents. I used 1/4' chicken wire. Air still needs to pass through. There are two in the back under the bumper and one big one under the cowl. I have a 2014 plug in Prius. Since I bought my car a year ago my washer fluid mysteriously disappears. Nothing on the ground! It took 3 gallons over the course of a year to saturate the padding and 30 minutes yesterday for the fluid to start dripping under the middle right side of the car. According to Toyota the hose is on the left but the car may have been leaning. I just bought a $100 washer bottle because what else could it be? The idea of mice chewing a hose just occurred to me. If this is my problem. It happened before I closed my vents. I haven't seen a mouse since and there is always food in my car. I'm a snacker! I know your post is old but hope I can help someone else. Thanks for your post so I don't think I'm the only one with this issue.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One

I have an issue, and the issue is that mice are getting inside my engine bay, any way to keep them away from there?

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    apply the scent of predators, whether naturally or artificially sourced.

A last line of defense would be to put some anti-rodent tape on your wiring harnesses. That keeps them from eating the wires, but they'll still try to nest.

So if you can't catch/kill the mice, you need to convince them that there are cats or foxes living under that hood.

Sonic_TH likes this.
  11. Sonic_TH

Sonic_TH Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Okay, i will try the scent and maybe pepper oil with water. I only found some poop and pee on top of the inverter, today before going to work there was nothing when i opened the bonet. I have mouse traps in the corners and walls where i park at home and there were no mice in the traps nor poop on the floor as a sign of mouse activity. I think there is also the possibility that the mice got in the engine bay when i parked at work, since there is a lot of vegetation around here.