1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Defender

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Armyguy03, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Armyguy03

Armyguy03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was at Sam's Club checking out some tires for the Prius I'm soon to purchase. I've read here that the Michelin tires give the best bang for the buck. Would anyone disagree? I'm looking to purchase the Michelin Defender XT tire. The Sam's Club mechanic who I've spoken with many times said that he has them on his Sunfire and they offer a quiet and safe ride, even in the snow.

2. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good tire for other cars but not the best for Pri's. Michelin Energy Savers and Bridgestone Ecopia's in that order are more ideal.

3. Armyguy03

Armyguy03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many thanks!

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you drive a lot of miles annually they are a good economical choice. Fuel economy will be lower than OE and a lot lower than the Energy Saver A/S but the long tread wear makes up for some of the efficiency loss. Still, the Energy Saver A/S is cheaper in the long run.

5. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am on my second set of Michelin Energy Saver AS tires, 195x65x15. They are a true 60,000 mile plus tires, if
    you rotate them on a regular basis. I kept mine at max pressure 44 psi in all four and the tires wore perfectly
    even. MPG's are at least 3 mpg more than the Ecopias and the original Avid tires.

TwoUnderPar likes this.
  6. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Just curious, any reason to NOT follow the factory spec to have the rears 2 psi lower? Thanks.

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Likely because the car is front heavy. I do this with my TDI Beetle as well. Third set of tires on the VW and second set on the Prius with even wear. PSI adjusted after each rotation. To hard in the back makes it loose.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like mentioned above, I would suggest keeping them with the factory pressure split unless you regularly carry a heavy load or 4 people.