1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Defenders poor MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by priusgto, Aug 22, 2013.

1. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After reading about the Defenders I figured a 2-3 MPG hit was something I could live with so I purchased a set to replace the worn X Radials. The tire guy at Sams club told me I shouldn't see any difference in MPG between the two and with a 30 day guarantee from Michelin I could bring them back for something different if I wasn't satisfied. Well the first tank of gas got me 6 MPG less than the X's and this was driving for the best mileage possible. I fueled up again today and started driving like normal to see just how much more of a hit I would take. So far after 90 miles, I'm at 42 MPG where I normally would be at 50-51. I have them air'd at 38/35 just like the X's. Needless to say they're going back to Sam's on day 29.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try the Energy Saver A/S that is offered by Michelin. I am running the P185/65R15 86T series and am getting excellent results. I did not notice any drop and am actually seeing the MPG improving. Was running the stock Integrity's

I am also running the air pressure at 40F, 38R. Max pressure on the sidewall is 44.

I was running 42F, 40R on the Integrity's.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wait for them to break in a little, but don't wait more than 29 days!:p ditto on the energy savers.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...what a coincidence I was just discussing this tire with F8L off-line on PM.
    Defender is an extremely long tread life tire, much like the GY ComforTreds I still have on my car. This type of tire saves you money because you basically skip a tire change. Whereas the A/S you make money by the great MPG but they don't last that long and are pretty expensive. Take your pick. I am tempted to try the A/S soon because I have MPG envy and our miles per year is falling below 15000 (used to be 20000) so maybe I can get 3 year out of them.

Merkey likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My perception was the Defenders were about the same rolling resistance as the X (assume you mean Michelin X), and that both were "ok", but not really into LRR territory.

For a decent LRR tire you might try Bridgestone Ecopia EP422, assuming you're looking for 185/65R15. They're $88.99 per right now at Costco (US), and there's a $70 off on four coupon. Costco will take that off at the till.

(I don't work at Costco, just looks like a good deal)

Merkey likes this.
  6. Jamesb93612

Jamesb93612 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my Defenders in April. I also experienced decreased MPG at first. Was getting 45 and went to 40. I would say after 1000 miles the MPG started to increase. Now I have nearly 8,000 miles on them and I am back to an average of 45. Keep in mind I drive normally. I don't hypermile or drive terribly slow. For me I liked that they have a long tread life and warranty. Just give them time and they will break in, otherwise, exchange them for the energy savers.

iPad ? HD

Don-RI and Merkey like this.
  7. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Michelin X radials I just replaced only took about a week and I was getting the same MPG as the Integritys or better. I won't wait past the 30 days with the Defenders. The cost of fuel to make up the difference in mileage will pay for a new set of tires in 3 years if I fill up once a week.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, before I switched I did a lot of study, asking questions and what have you. I narrowed it down to two choices. The one's I bought (Energy Saver A/S) and the Bridgestone Ecopia 422. My thing is I wanted the best MPG as number one priority. Yes, the Michelin's do cost more, but I chose them over the Bridgestone's because of the tread pattern. Maybe I did not spend wisely, but I feel I got a good set of tires for the application I am using them for. (Prius and best MPG possible)

I would have bought the Defender however Michelin rates the rolling resistance a 8 versus a 10 for the Energy Saver A/S. Even though the Defender has the longer tread wear rating, I was wanting to get the best MPG possible. Plus it seems that every 90K rated tire I have ever bought ended up dry rotting before I wore them out. I don't drive a boat load of miles like some do.

Merkey likes this.
  9. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If you go on day 29 and they don't have the Energy Savers in stock on that day, then what? I would go today and have them special order the energy savers if they are not in stock.

Merkey and uart like this.
  10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a similar experience with the Michelin MXV4's a couple of years ago. The Energy Saver A/S was not available at the time. The Michelin website listed the MXV4 at their highest fuel efficiency rating. It turns out that they are LRR only in certain tire sizes but not in mine. I was told by Customer Service that they were "close to LRR".

I took an immediate 5-6 mpg hit but knew that I needed break-in time. It took me 20k miles before the mpg began to increase again. At 35k miles I am still at 2-3 mpg below the OEM Yokohamas.

Even though the Defenders have the great mileage warranty, I will definitely go with the ES A/S next time. I would rather have the higher mpg even though the math says that the Defenders probably have the lower life cycle cost.

I would want to change to the ES A/S before the 30 day period is up. I really miss the higher mpg.

Merkey likes this.
  11. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think you have to wait a little while to find out how the Defenders perform in terms of fuel mileage since new tires are intrinsically less efficient than worn ones:

The NHTSA Tire Fuel Efficiency Consumer Information Program Development: Phase 2 – Effects of Tire Rolling Resistance Levels on Traction, Treadwear, and Vehicle Fuel Economy states the following on page 5:

"In any discussion of rolling resistance, it is important to consider that the rolling resistance level of a tire evolves during use. It is reported in literature that a tire’s rolling resistance level, and therefore its effects on vehicle fuel economy, can decrease by more than 20 percent from a new tread to completely worn.[11],[12] Therefore, calculations of the benefits of lower tire rolling resistance derived from measurements of new tires will likely understate the benefits to a vehicle in terms of absolute fuel economy over the lifetime of the set of tires."

The specific reasons are:
    -- worn tires over-clock actual miles driven due to their lesser diameter.
    -- the tread of worn tires flexes more easily than the thicker tread of new tires (contrary to common opinion, tread flexing is a major contributor to energy loss, thus the increased fuel consumption with wider tires).
    -- as tires age, the rubber becomes harder and its hysteresis (measure of energy loss when flexing) actually decreases.

Driving characteristics also influence the advantage of LRR tires. If you do a lot of highway driving, air resistance will tend to dominate, and the advantage will be less. If you're a suburban driver LRR will really help. But if your driving is substantially urban, where you spend a fair amount of time standing still, LRR tires will have a lesser effect.

This is not to say that other tires are not more efficient than the Defender; I'm just saying comparisons can be really complicated.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ In a previous experience, going from (OEM) Bridgestone Insignia SE200_02, which were a special limitted edition LRR version, to Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 (touted as LRR), our mileage didn't skip a beat, ie: there was NO drop in mileage with the install of the new tires.

While there's likely some validity to the "wait a while, let them break-in, the mpg will return" statements, I think it's overblown. Much of the "return" of better mpg is due to driver's trying all the harder, imho.

13. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sam's said that they would order me a set of the Michelin A/S tires on day 30 and change them out when they came in.

Merkey likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's pretty sweet!(y)

Merkey likes this.
  15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have bought my tires from Sam's for years now and always had good service. Never any hassle with what few road hazard warranties I have ever needed.

So I am not surprised with them ordering on day 30.

16. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, instead of waiting, I decided to go into Sams today and have them order the Michelin Energy Savers. Sams now tells me that they cannot order them because they are unavailable. I called Michelin and they tell me that they won't start production for another 4 weeks on the Energy Savers but they are going to try and find a set tomorrow for me. I also asked them if they would let me keep the Defenders past the 30 days and still provide a refund when the others are available. The girl on the phone said they would see about that if they can't find a set of the Energy Savers. I reminded her about their recording while I was on hold stating that Michelin is comitted to customer satisfaction excellence so we'll see how that goes tomorrow.

17. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I got our set, I ended up checking more than one source. I can't say that any Michelin dealer will honor the exchange program, but it would be worthwhile to look into it. The Michelin Dealer (Beasley Tire) in Houston could not get the Energy Saver but a local retailer who sold multiple brands had them in stock. (American Wheel and Tire).

My point is to try to locate a alternative source of supply of the tires and then go from there. You might be able to get them to have the tires shipped to Sam's so they can exchange them. The wording on Michelin's website says if you bring the tires back within 30 days with the receipt to the original seller, they will mount a new set of tires.

Quote from Michelin Web Site:
    30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee1

Available on all MICHELIN passenger and light truck replacement tires. If you're not 100% satisfied, bring the tires and original sales receipt back to the place of purchase within 30 days for a new set of tires.

Tire Warranty | Michelin Tires

18. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

19. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Michelin called and have a set in Illinois. Sams ordered them so I should be saving gas in a week.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazing how difficult these tyres are to come by.

Merkey likes this.