1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Energy Saver A/S handling

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by fiftympg, Jun 5, 2014.

1. fiftympg

fiftympg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For those of you with the Energy Saver A/S tires on your Prius, how do you like them? Are you happy with the handling of them?

Two weeks ago I bought a set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S in 195/65 15" for my Gen 3 Prius. On highways with grooved concrete, I'm finding the car bouncing left and right constantly. It's the same feeling as if the car is being blown by strong winds from the side. This effect is quite annoying since most of the highways in my area are built this way. Does the handling of these tires improve as they break in?
    I spoke to the tire dealer and they said I have 30 days to take them back. I'm all for getting good MPG but not as the expense of handling like this.

They Energy Savers replaced a set of OEM Yoko Avid S33D that lasted me close to 60k miles. The Yoko were a bit noisy but liked them way better than these Michelins.

2. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What pressure are you running?

3. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the Michelin Energy Saver A/S, soooooo much better than the OEM Yoko Avid's I had on my vehicle. YES! it does take about a month for them to settle in. Your call but Yoko is junk in my humble opinion!

4. fiftympg

fiftympg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the first few days they were at the factory 35/33 PSI. I was getting dismal gas mileage so I increased them to 40/38 PSI. The tires handled worse at the higher PSI. Now I'm back to 35/33.

5. fiftympg

fiftympg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to hear that the tires need to break in. I'll give them another week to see if the handling improves. I won't be keeping them if they continue to handle this way.

Thanks.

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I ran my set of Energy Saver A/S for 40,000 miles before upgrading to the 17" wheels.

After break-in, they get slightly better. But if you are not happy with them now, I would highly recommend that you exchange them -- because all of the characteristics you mentioned will still be present.

7. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My EP20s were doing that when the car was new. Either I got used to it or something changed but I don't notice it any more.

8. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe you need a front end alinement?:oops:
    Was your tires balanced?:eek:

9. Sierra Mark

Sierra Mark Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the same handling issue with my new Michelin Energy Saver A/S's. The good news is that after I have put 500 miles on the car, the road wander is gradually going away. I had the same issue when the car was new with Yokohama AVIDs. My MPG is running 59 on the new Michelins vs 58 with the Yokos.

10. fiftympg

fiftympg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No kidding. The way the car drives, you would think the alignment was off. However before the time replacement, the stock Yokos were handling and tracking pretty well. So think my alignment is good.

11. fiftympg

fiftympg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So after another week with these tires at varying tire pressure, I did exactly that. I just can't accept the way these Energy Savers handle. With tire pressure at 35 Psi, they do handle better but still not that great.

I went back to Costco and had the tires changed out under the 30 day satisfaction guarantee. I'm a Michelin fan so had a choice between the Defender and Premier. Ended up mounting a set of the Premiers. I'm a week into them now and I'm happy to report the handling is fantastic! The vehicle now tracks tight and straight. I'm aware the Premiers are not LRR tires so I will take a hit in MPG. So far I'm seeing about 4 MPG less than what I was getting with the stock Yokos. I'm hoping as these tires break-in, I do better than that.

Thanks for all your replies.

going red baby! and The Critic like this.
  12. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there a mileage limit on returns? I'm buying from Costco as well and have to drive a 200-300 miles next weekend. If I don't like these I want to get the Defenders. I'm already thinking of changing my order now.

Also, did you have to pay labor both times then?

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Going from Energy Savers to Defenders I think you'll see a real mpg hit. There's a fair number of people here who've got comfortable with the Energy Savers, and considering the comments above regarding the tires smoothing out (Sierra Mark for example): I'd say just hang in there.

The Energy Savers would be top of my list, if our OEM's weren't the 215/45R17. ;(

14. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, you are usually responsible for the labor cost of the swap.

15. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I agree!

16. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So I got these Energy Savers and they feel great! I don't notice any weirdness. The ride felt much better than on my worn Yoko's and it was much easier to turn the wheels... I'm happy! Glad I went with these over the Defenders since I don't put enough mileage on the car to make the 90,000 mile warranty worth it.