1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Energy Saver A/S Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by R_Ann, Nov 27, 2010.

1. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tire Rack has the $70 rebate on Michelin right now. I think their price per tire is around $112. Once you factor in shipping, though, it'll probably take it to around $125 each.

I'm debating getting rims & new LRR tires on my 2010. I can get the TPMS cheap on ebay, so it wouldn't be too horrible. Close to $875, which isn't bad if you say it really fast! I'd obviously sell my OEM wheels, covers, center caps, and the Firestone tires on them. Just not sure I want to put that outlay of $$ right now for no real reason other than aesthetics.

2. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had an alignment done a few days after getting my new Energy Saver tires. They got the fronts into specs without shimming, but one of my rears is out of spec and is very expensive to correct (they quoted me $500), I passed on aligning the rear. From what I understand some shops (like mine), can align the rear but Toyota only recommends replacing the rear axle, so a "Stealership" won't do a rear alignment. Even though they charge you for a 4 wheel alignment, which is really just aligning the front and measuring the rear. But either way it's very expensive to align the rear. Thanks for this design Toyota!

My suggestion is don't bother with an alignment, unless you noticed unusual tire wear, handling issues or went 4 wheeling with your Prius. But remember that front tires always wear more than rears and even more so on front wheel drive vehicles.

Also note, the alignment will cost more if they have to use shims, plus extra labor time.

3. tfrain

tfrain Prius Rookie

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had the same thing with our Pilot (recently replaced with the Prius) - 2007 in awesome shape, got it back from having some General Grabbers put on by local shop and a nick on each wheel where they popped the weights off the rims. I had no nicks or curb rash or anything on them either. Was peeved, but not bad enough to go gripe - they were small, but I just pictured some bearded young punk with a cigarette hanging out his mouth, squinting from the smoke as he carelessly popped the weights off of MY NICE WHEELS. I swear, you just can't get good service for anything anymore. The guy who put my house alarm in, his power steering pump busted in my driveway and the guy didn't even have the decency to bring a pressure washer out. I had to do it myself - was less trouble than calling and complaining and making my blood pressure go up. I've just started doing all I can myself, because everybody you pay to do something SUCKS at giving a crap.

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's an update on my Costco complaint, where they had nicked my rim installing new tires. Amazingly Costco replaced my rim today with a brand new one! They kept my old one and I was told they will recondition it. I looked closely at the replacement, for fear it was aftermarket or reconditioned and to ensure the color matched. It checked out as brand new for a 2004-2009 Prius.

I told the manager this was crazy for Costco to replace a rim on a 4 rear old vehicle because of one tiny nick. Especially since that rim had some minor road rash. I said they should have just given me $15 to get some touch up paint. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for a brand new rim but it seems kind of ridiculous.

Of course this experience couldn't be all positive. I specifically told the manager I wanted 42 psi in the tire. But the service guy put the Toyota recommended psi in instead. I had to insist he fill it up to 42 psi and point out this number was on the service order the manager had printed out. He went on about how they wouldn't be responsible and bla bla bla. Then I informed him that the tires are rated to 44 psi max and the Toyota tire psi ratings are a compromise between ride and safety. None of these numbers are the safety blow out rating. I'm going to have to check the other tire pressures tomorrow now, because I have a feeling this idiot let some nitrogen out of them.

5. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went to the dealer to get an oil change and they had changed my psi back to Toyota recommended (34 psi?) as a "courtesy". Bah. Off to fight with an air hose and $0.75 to fill them back up.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Air at the gas station is free. Just go ask them for tokens or to turn it on for you. :)

7. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had mine for 53k miles. I installed them in the spring of 2010 (50PSI) and noticed no effect on MPG over the worn out Integrety's (45k miles). At 50k, I took a tread depth measurement and found all four were the same so I did not rotate them. By then the pressure was down to 45PSI. The tread depth measurement indicates that I have only used 25% of the tread life so even though they are expensive, they will end up saving money over the other options. They are quieter and more grippy in the rain and snow compared to the Integritys. I drive 35k miles a year, 70% highway.

1 person likes this.
  8. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not in Columbus.... (in Ann Arbor it was free) :(

9. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same down here. There was 1 station I knew of that offered it free, and it's now becoming a bank. I got my own compressor several years ago, and used it for several house projects and car stuff.

Look into getting one, I've seen them under $100 and you'd be surprised how far you can shoot a nail if you rig the gun.....not that I've ever tried it or anything

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought they were required to offer free air. Maybe it's a California thing?

11. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Depends on the station, but the compressor at the gas station I usually use has a button underneath that, if pressed three times, magically starts the compressor without quarters. Now it's something I check for at any station when I need air.