1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Energy Saver A/S vs. Bridgestone Ecopia EP20

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by cary1952, Sep 28, 2013.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It got down to the low 40's here once! As far as as the tires go I have had the Michelin's for about 35k miles or so, I average 48 mpg with them, but then I have a huge hill to contend with. I should be in the mid 50's Oh well!
    You also have to keep a sharp eye on the tire pressure. I run 44/42. When it drops to 38, like after a visit to the dealer, the car feels like a pig and the mileage suffers!
    I have had 3 situations where I really had to nail the brakes to avoids a real problem, I am amazed at the grip and stopping power these Energy Savers have.... My 4Runner should stop so quick and steady!!

#21 KK6PD, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    F8L likes this.
  2. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You mean EP20? Harold mentioned EP20 in his post preceding yours.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I would get the EP422 over the EP20, especially if you drive in snow. The EP422 is not a bad tire. It just doesn't handle or brake as well as direct competitors. The EP422 holds an advantage in fuel economy and snow traction. As with all tires you have to weigh your options and choose the top 2 or 3 characteristics that you want the most. The EP20 was my favorite OE tire on the Prius but that's not saying much. lol

I have changed my criteria a bit since I left the Prius world and no fuel efficiency comes in 2nd or 3rd to traction and comfort. Therefore I am more interested in tires like the TrueContact, PureContact and Premier A/S. Sure, you'll lose 4mpg or so compared to something like the Energy Saver A/S but it's all about tradeoffs.

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ep 20 are excellent on snow and ice. Mind you the tires were new when I took them over the highway too Hell. I use Nokian on both my Prius over the winter. I run my ep 20 as low as 36f 34r without a hit in mpg. Much better ride. Have about 20,000 kil. On them and they look new. H

5. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They don't make the EP20 in my size.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They make EP20 in ONE size, lol.

7. davisnc

davisnc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It looks like you have Discount Tire stores in your area and the stores near you show the Energy Saver available on the site. I'm very happy with them where I live. They hooked me up when mine wore out at 42k - see my post: Michelin Energy Saver treadwear warranty/guarantee comes through! | PriusChat

8. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was the same for me. I used TireRack and the price/experience was very positive.

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't be afraid to try Discount Tire or TireBuyer.com. I've used all three of these retailers and been very happy with my transactions.

10. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hate Discount Tire buuuuuuut in the sake of good traction AND good mpg's, I will check it out. :D