1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Energy Saver - Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eseerc, May 13, 2019.

1. eseerc

eseerc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    HI everyone,

I am in the market for a new set of tires for my 2010 Prius and settled on the Michelin Energy Savers. This morning I called my local Toyota dealership to order and was surprised when they said the tire was not available. Their words were "maybe it is being discontinued". I then tried my local Sam's club and was told the same thing, the tires are not available for order and may be discontinued.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? I know the tires are available on TireRack, but am surprised two local places are mentioning the possibility that they are discontinued. If this is the case, I'm not reading much good about the Michelin Premiers so may fall back onto the Bridgestone Ecopia 422s.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Are you talking about Energy Savers or Energy Savers A/S? The latter is the All-Seaon version, typically more widely available. The former is Summer-Only, not that common?

3. eseerc

eseerc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry I should have specified, the Energy Saver A/S

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The michelin defender is a great alternative, longer lasting and less expensive which makes up for possibly slightly lower mpg. It is sold as the X tour at Costco and Sams for about $10 less per tire than the defender branded tire.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Like energy saver a s green x? They have an updated version of that one which performs worse. Mine are date 2012 the wear tread and temp rating specs are better than the new version. You figured new version would perform better and spec wise also. But profit margin is most important to them.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe amend the title while the edit window is still open. There's button somewhere around the first posting, allows you to do this.

You might be onto something. I've been rolling on new Primacy MXM4, also Green-X, just one tankful now, and they seem pretty sticky: seems like there's that constant need to push the gas just a little harder. Subjective, but there. And it's reflected in our fuel consumption, the last tank: took a bit of a dive...

This is comparing to 9 year old, hardened up Pilot HX MXM4 (also Green-X label on sidewall), so somewhat apples/oranges, but you have to wonder. I'll live with it, and hoping in a few 1000 kms they'll improve.

#7 Mendel Leisk, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Merkey likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try tire rack, that's where i got mine. they are always in short supply for some reason.

9. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They maybe telling you a truth. If you go to Michelin US site, Energy Saver A/S is still listed, but you can't order them on-line, unlike other tires like Energy Saver (summer tire) on the photo below. That seems to indicate at the least they are currently out of stock for new orders.

Truck Tires, Car Tires and more – Michelin Tires

energy saver as.png

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you place an order for them, they call ya to let you know those are being replaced with an equivalent newer model; T S ones. Happened to me, I’m rolling on 3/32” now :sick:

Merkey likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, my OEM tires are down to 5/32, and won't be too long before needing replacements. That's one less tire I have to consider for my next set. On one hand I want the best tires money can buy (usually expensive) but on the other hand I also want to try really cheap ones to see the difference.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tire rack shows them in stock

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If they are discontinuing it, what's in stock now may be the last chance to grab some. I wanted to try them on my PRIME, but I don't think they will be available next summer when I need to buy a set.

CR94 likes this.
  14. Sr5dude

Sr5dude Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  15. Sr5dude

Sr5dude Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Merkey likes this.
  16. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It does show in stock, but it's the treadwear 820 that I'm after. The green x on there has 480 rating.

17. pghsebring

pghsebring Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I went through this like 3-6 months ago I think...I knew I should have grabbed them when I had the chance. I used to have the good ones (820 treadwear) on the old prius we sold and I was looking for new tires a few months ago for the current prius and realized the new version is garbage, so I went and found the tire ID for the old ones in our size and there were like 2 places out there that had a pair each, I would have had to buy a set from each place, it just seemed like too much work and I stalled...now they're gone and garbage is all that is left. Sucks. Anyways I broke down yesterday and ordered Continental TrueContact Tour, 91H speed rating, they are 800AA, we will see how this goes, I couldn't wait any longer. I hate when companies cancel good products!

Merkey likes this.
  18. Sr5dude

Sr5dude Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Merkey likes this.
  19. Joshman

Joshman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is a HUGE BUMMER. I just went through this experience as well. Energy Saver A/S shows up on Costco website, but says "temporarily out of stock". Costco rep says it's likely discontinued as they can't even order any. These tires were incredible for the price and I was ready to put on another set without question. Great MPG, quiet, lasted me almost 80,000 miles (almost all highway as courier service).

I went with Michelin Premier A/S. Great tire, but I'm seeing the MPG hit right away. Maybe worth it if they have additional wet grip, but I never had any issues with the Energy Saver A/S. I was tempted to get the X Tour (defender), but the 820 tread wear just turned me off. I have the X-tours on the highlander, and they are a bit noisy. Different car, I know, but I wasn't willing to risk it.

bisco likes this.
  20. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    What is wrong with the tread wear rating of 820?

Salamander_King likes this.