1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Energy Saver - psi?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PA Prius, Jun 27, 2012.

1. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max were down to 2-3 mm, so replaced them with Michelin Energy Saver's yesterday. I had likely read this before, but was a bit surprised their sidewall max is 44 rather than 51 psi. It would seem the best LRR tires would be of the higher psi, but that is obviously not the case. Those of you who run at sidewall max or higher, I am wondering what psi you are running the Energy Savers and how they are wearing at that psi.

I ran my Fuel Max at 56/54. They wore slightly more in the center than the edges, unlike the Integrities that wore even at high psi. I got about 58,000 miles out of the Fuel Max (warranted for 65,000).

Fyi, Costco was out of the Energy Savers. I ended up getting them at TireRack and then installed at Sears. Sears has a special installation rate for TireRack customers, $11. mounting and balance and $2. for tire disposal. In the end it was cheaper than Costco.

PA Prius

2. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm running at 50-55 PSI at present. And I've done so since 2009 when they were put on. I'll be replacing them in about 10k miles, which puts the fronts at 75k miles. I'd consider going higher, but the spouse just cannot keep the speeds down enough that I'd consider it safe.

3. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks, sounds very good.

PA P

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have been keeping my Michelins at 44 psi, and that is definitely a worthwhile improvement over the 32 psi that the dealers seem to favor. Do you find that 50+ psi is much better? On bumpy roads, I think the ride and wear on the suspension is harsh already. Where is the point of diminishing returns?

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have the Energy Saver (summer tire) or Energy Saver A/S (all-season tire). Pretty big difference between the two. The A/S is the mpg king. I would make certain you have the A/S. if not then I would return them and get the correct ones. You wouldn't bethe first who were accidiently sold the wrong tires.

Most 195/65/15 tires are rated 44psi max. Even the S rated Fuel Max tires are rated at 44psi. It's the H rated version that is 50psi.

I have been running 40/38psi the 44/42psi and I do not notice a big difference in fuel economy but I do notice a big increase in ride harshness the higher I go. For the tests and papers I have read the fuel economy savings starts to diminish quickly after 40psi and pretty much maxes out at between 45-50psi.

My recommendations:
    1. Mostly urban driving at low speeds and decent roads = max out the pressure to whatever you are comfortable with
    2. Mostly urban driving at low speeds with crappy roads = drop pressure to no more than 44psi
    3. Mostly highway driving at higher speeds with good roads = 44psi or lower
    4. Mostly highway driving at higher speeds with crappy roads = 38psi or lower but no lower than 35psi.

6. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is new to me that they have a summer and all season tire. Mine are A/S. I would think that the summer time would get better mileage than the A/S, but I appear to be wrong again. I'll start at sidewall max and bump it up from there. When I compare tire pressure with my bicycle, rolling resistance continues to decline about 40 psi. I'm happy with 130 psi on my bike tires, but won't go there with the Prius, even though burst strength is supposedly 4x sidewall max.

PA P

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The original Energy Saver summer tire is older. The A/S is newer and thus uses newer technology. It also has a longer tread life.

The reason for lower pressure on bad roads is to reduce tire skipping. A very hard tire willbe more likely to deflect off road irregularities instead of conforming around them with minimal reduction in speed. Burst pressure is important but it's so high I am not concerned with it since I never run higher than 50psi.

Here is a bit more info on LRR tires.

Tire Review - Rolling Resistance: What Really Makes a Tire Fuel-Efficient?

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Obviously narrow racing bicycle tires are a different kettle of fish, supporting the weight of the bike and rider on a very narrow contact patch.

I also think there are diminishing returns from increasing pressures too much. I find about 42/40 or 44/42 to be a pretty good choice.

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Ronald Doles

Ronald Doles Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I did a search and couldn't find the coastdown test link on this site. Here is one from GrassRoots Motorsports. It is also an Excel spreadsheet.

Attached Files:

12. Kindke

Kindke Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    im in the UK and looking at getting the energy saver Michelin tyres but blackcircles.com doesnt list whether they are the all-season varierty or the summer tyres.

very annoying.

I was also looking at the crossclimate+ although I live and drive in london which rarely ever sees snow or ice.

curiously the tyre label for the crossclimate+ for fuel efficiency is labelled as B, where as for the energy saver it is C, which implies the crossclimate+ has better rolling resistance which doesnt make sense if the energy saver tyre is meant to be designed for efficiency

#12 Kindke, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i find them to be smoother and quieter than the oems, similar mpg's and handling.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The official Michelin names are:

Energy Saver (summer)
    Energy Saver A/S (all season)