1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin EnergySaver A/S tires at Costco

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by abq sfr, Jul 27, 2009.

1. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know, not another tire thread! My OEMs are really down there at 32k miles, that was with 40/38. I notice a new (?) Michelin at Costco.com, Michelin EnergySaver A/S for $122, almost the same as Hydroedges. Anybody know anything about these? Pretty expensive even with the $70 rebate. Features follow, the 8% more fuel efficient caught my eye...
    Michelin - Energyâ„¢ Saver A/S

• P185/65R15 86T
    • Item #: 427343
    • Tire Type: All-Season
    • Sidewall: Black Sidewall
    • Limited 6 year manufacturer's warranty
    • Up to 8% more fuel efficient than standard tires to save you money*
    • Stops 8 feet shorter for added safety†
    • Reduces CO2 emissions as much as planting 40 trees**

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would consider getting the 195/60R15 size -- better and safer handling and braking, plus at TireRack, they're $7 less per tire than the OEM 185/65R15 size.

3. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I thought the 195 size was for Touring? I don't have Touring, I thought a different size would screw up all the readings based on tire rotation.

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, 195mm is the width of the OEM Touring Prius tire and 185mm is the width of the OEM Standard Prius tire.

Using Miata Tire Calculator's assumed tire rotation values for different tire sizes, the 195/60R15 would result in a 1% over-read, meaning when the speedometer shows 60 mph you'll actually be traveling 59.4 mph. No big deal.

Personally, I'd gladly trade that very slight speedometer over-read (and probably less mpg because of the wider width) for better and safer handling and braking any day of the week.

5. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I also noted that the tred wear index of the EnergySaver A/S is a LOT (almost half) lower than the Hydroedge (or X-Radial). 480 vs 800 (or 740).

6. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't a higher treadwear rating mean a harder compound, hence a harder ride.

My Bridgestone Ecopia's have a wear rating in the 300s, and running 42 front 40 rear psi, I wouldn't want the ride any stiffer.

7. bluesparky

bluesparky Prius v -Five ATP Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

The compound of the rubber doesn't necessarily mean a "stiffer" ride, it could..., but the construction of the sidewall along with the compound usually changes the ride. The original Goodyears on my 07 are very soft on the sidewalls, even at 42psi, and the construction of the tire makes it very rounded from the tread over the edge of the tire to the sidewall. Goodyears wear very quickly on the edge of the treads when cornering and if the pressure is just a bit low. Michelins have a flatter tread pattern and stiffer corners of the tread. They help control during cornering and stopping. The HydroEdge tires are good and stiff (Much better handling on a PT Cruiser) and don't wear nearly as much as one with a 480 rating. I'd opt for the higher number for longer wear!

8. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Please explain more about tread wear index, I want to buy the tire that last longer so which index I should buy?

9. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's not much to explain. The higher the number, the longer the treadwear. Theoretically, a tire with a treadwear rating of 800 will last twice as many miles as one with a 400 rating.

10. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you Jay_man2, That much much easier to understand.

My stock tires last for 62K. I just replaced with Michelin X Radial less about two weeks ago. I love these tires because it much better handling, better or same MPG (54MPG).

11. C.S.W.

C.S.W. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I went to Costco to replace my stock tires today. I was going to get Michelin X-Radial DT P185/65R15 ($105.99 each plus $15 installation per tire; $70 coupon can apply and will be end tomorrow by the way). Then I realized they are having X-Radial DT P195/65R15 for $94.53 each. I thought it's a better deal since 195 should be more expensive than 185? So I ended up getting those 195s on my Prius!
    I see people here do suggest 195 but go with 60 instead of 65. I am wondering does that make any differences?

Thanks,
    Jason

12. Big Al5

Big Al5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I believe the key is COSTCO! I put Hydroedge's on at Costco and after 25K I had a screw go from the bottom through the sidewall. Costco replaced the tire for $13.50 under there road hazard warranty. I was impressed
    Al

13. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Did I misread the Yokohamas, that they have a max pressure of 44 psi? It tires are max rated at 44 and they are inflated to 42/40 what potential safety risks might we be adding to our drive? --TK

14. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In other threads they mention that the 44 psi max is a load rating, etc. etc., and discuss burst pressures, members running psi's in the 50's, and things like that, but there's no mention of any real safety risk.

With 42/40 you may increase the harshness of the ride, may increase the stopping distance, but that's about it from what I read and personal experience.

1 person likes this.
  15. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Jay_man2, Yeap, there has to be some safety factor reduction between load rating, the max pressure stamped into the sidewall, and burst pressure. I've always stayed away from the max pressure, maybe because I can't tell the ride and handling characteristics differences 3 to 5 psi makes. Add to my tire insensitivity that this is my first Hybrid and first LRR tires and I'm really in the deep end of the pool. Thanks again. --TK

16. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do I understand it correctly that there is no mileage warranty on these tires?

17. ggcc

ggcc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just replaced new set of tires again at 162,000 Miles so the Michelin X Radial last 100,000 Miles (rated at 80K miles).

18. DaneH5

DaneH5 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Max pressure is at max load too. Not many are running max load are they?

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think most of us are singles, except uber drivers.:cool: