1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin ES A/S or Michelin Defender

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PSD Prius, Feb 1, 2013.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Aftermarket TPMS tools can read unregistered sensor IDs, I don't think Techstream can...but I could be wrong.

iPhone ?

F8L likes this.
  2. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I chose the Defenders over the Energy Saver AS, because I wanted the 90K tire and it is listed as an LRR tire. The first two tanks of gas was with a really horrible driver for MPG, and then the 1100 mile trip home. The mileage was really looking bad, one tank with the cruise set at 85 only netted 42.6. This tank that is more like we normally drive is looking like about 3 MPG hit over the Goodyear Fuel Max. Hopefully it will get better after some miles, but I'm thinking I'd been better off going with the Energy AS. I know that Michelin has the 30 day satisfaction guarantee, but it reads that I have to go back to the dealer that installed the tires to make the switch. Live and learn.

F8L likes this.
  3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That doesn't sound to far off what I would have estimated. Comparing the Fuel Max and Defender at the same wear point I would estimate a 2mpg loss. The Energy Saver A/S is 1.5-2mpg better than the Fuel Max.

4. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Try Walmart Tires, Tire shops in the area as well as the dealer.

5. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So back to Energy Saver A/S vs Defender discussion, how well do the Energy Savers A/S handle for normal driving ? Are they as good as the AVID S33 that come with the Prius ? I've got snow tires for the winter and the S33 work for me for the summer, but I don't want to go with the Energy Savers if they are worse than the S33's. If they are,
    I'll go with the Defender.

quantumy likes this.
  6. Terrell

Terrell Old-Timer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Originally, my car had the Yokohamas, and they were worn out at 34,300 miles. I got the Michelin Defenders for the good wear life, high rating, and good handling. I got 47.3, 47.5, and 50.2 mpg in three summers on the Yoko (the mpg went up as they wore down), and 45.8 mpg so far on the Defender (summer is always better than winter mpg).

When winter is included, the Yoko gave me 45.8 over 34,300 miles, and the Defender 43.1 so far over 5,548 miles, which includes winter mostly so far.

Both tires seemed OK for winter driving. When the snow gets over 5", I stay home anyway.