1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Hydroedge at Costco

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jennjay, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was on the Costco website and they have Hydroedge tires in the original size installed for about $434.00 (including my local tax). Seems like a good deal. The OEM integrities only have 8000 miles on 1 car and 1000 miles on the other. We are entering our rainy season in Florida and I want tires that do well in the rain. Does anyone have experience with Costco and their tire service? You have to preorder and pay and they are sent to the closest warehouse for installation. This included a $60.00 instant rebate on 4 tires.

2. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Jun 5 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]266374[/snapback]</div>
    Ha, this is funny, as I just got back home from Costco inquiring about tires. I've been buying tires exclusively from there for the past few years, because they include all the mounting and spin balancing costs, free rotations for the tire's life, AND a road hazard warranty. No BS -- if the tire picks up a nail, they fix it or give you a prorated refund if it's non-repairable (sidewall puncture, etc.)

I'm also thinking about Hydroedges, but also might get BFG Traction T/As. I had good experience with the Traction T/A's on the car I just sold. Probably going 205/60R15 instead of the factory 185/65R15s.

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Consumer Reports recommends Costco for selection, price and service. We purchase our tires at Costco and have had good service.

Costco offered to fill your tires with nitrogen gas for a while. This is marketing as earth's atmosphere is already 79% nitrogen.

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Jun 5 2006, 09:41 PM) [snapback]266495[/snapback]</div>
    Just because you didn't understand the reasons for filling tires with nitrogen doesn't mean that it's just "marketing".

The main advantage of using pure N2 to fill your tires isn't what's in the fill air, it's what's NOT in it. And what's not in it is water or water vapor.

5. bee13

bee13 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jun 6 2006, 03:16 AM) [snapback]266548[/snapback]</div>

True. I worked aircraft maintenance for years and we used nitrogen to service both landing gear struts and tire inflation.

6. jrct9454

jrct9454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jennjay @ Jun 5 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]266374[/snapback]</div>

A better all around choice is Costco's T-rated propietary Michelin tire; it finished much higher in CU's tire tests than the Hydro, and isn't unidirectional, which aids in your choices of how to rotate them. Price is about the same. These are what we put on our '06, and they make the car better in just about every way.

7. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you do get it done at Costco, be sure to let us all know how they handle the tire pressure monitor sensors. I know I'll go broke if I go to the dealer for everything, so I just keep checking for people with good prius service experiences so that I'll be ready when I need a tire upgrade or replacement.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I bought a set of Hydroedge's from Costco with Nitrogen fillup a few months ago. So far, so good.

I have aftermarket TPMS (www.smartire.com) and I asked the tech if he was able to work around them. He said no problem.

When I went to pick up the car, he had broken one of the sensors. I really didn't mind, because he was so unbelieveably good about it. I ordered up another one, they installed it and gave me a credit for it, and apologized again. A+ for handling the mistake.

Factory TPMS should be less of a problem because these guys should know to avoid the valve stem.

Anyway, Costco has $60 off a set of Michelins right now in my area. Hopefully you get this as well.

As for the "Costco Proprietary T-Rated" tire, just be sure it has a treadwear warranty. The Hydroedge is good for 90,000 miles.

Nate

9. Stilview

Stilview New Member

I can't speak for Costco service, but I had HydroEdges put on mine about 40k miles ago. Excellent tire all around, but outstanding in the rain. Gas mileage did drop a few MPG, but it's worth it to walk versus skate through rain storms.

10. jrct9454

jrct9454 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jun 6 2006, 10:50 AM) [snapback]266744[/snapback]</div>
    The Costco Michelins have an 80000 mile warranty, and are included in the current $60-discount offer. They are quieter and stick better than the Hydros.

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jrct9454 @ Jun 6 2006, 02:04 PM) [snapback]266876[/snapback]</div>
    Interestingly, CU rated them "very good" in resistance to hydroplaning, while the Hydroedge was only rated "good". With a name like "Hydroedge", you'd expect it to do much better.

There are other anomalies too. The Goodyear TripleTred rated "Excellent" in dry braking and handling, but only "Good" in emergency handling. I'm not sure what to make of that. Based on the description of their tests, that would be a tire that did well on a road course but sucked at autocross. I suppose it's possible.

12. markymags

markymags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been buying tires from Costco for a few years now and I have to say that their service is very good. The road hazard warranty is amazing... I had a tire pick up a nail on a part of the tire that was not fixable - I think it was on the inner part of the tire - and they replaced the tire for me. They aren't necessarily the fastest but if you are going there to buy groceries or what not they will be done by the time you are out of their warehouse.

13. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think based on all your advice, and Consumer Reports, I'm going to go with the Michelin X, it is higher rated, a little cheaper, and in stock. I know just need time to go over and get it done. Thanks, Jay

by the way the nitrogen fill is no extra charge

14. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just an update. I had the michelin X's installed on both my Prii. They had no problem with tire pressure monitors on the 06. All seems okay. The installer at Costco thought I was a little nuts getting rid of the new Integrities (only 1000 miles), but I explained that I was driving my wife's car a few months ago and skidded on a wet road upon stopping. I was convinced it was the tires and then I read lots of bad opinions about them, here, Tire Rack, etc. Now that wet season is starting here in Florida, I could not in good conscious keep the stock tires on either my wife's car (usually the child transporter) or my car. The new tires seem to handle and corner real well.

15. Jennjay

Jennjay Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Michelin X's seem to handle well in rain. We got lots of rain today in front of Tropical Depression #1. Car seems to handle real well on wet roads. With the Costco coupon, I paid $338.00 for all tires, mounted, road hazard, free flat repair, Nitrogn fill, tax included. Jay