1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Hydroedge or Goodyear Comfortred

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by terkar, Dec 29, 2006.

1. mdale

mdale New Member

My vote is for the Michelin Hydroedge. I traded in the OEM Integrity tires toward the Hydroedges shortly after taking delivery of the vehicle. I opted for 205/60/15 because I wanted something more stable than the 185/65/15 OEM tires. At 849 revolutions per mile, the Hydroedges are almost identical to the 855 revolutions per mile of the Integrities.

After 5,000 miles I couldn't be happier. The ride comfort is excellent. Stability and handling are excellent. (I also added the BT Tech brace.) As for noise, I don't find the tires to be any noisier than the OEM tires, although my experience with the OEM tires was limited.

In terms of mileage, I know that I am taking a hit, because the Hydroedge tires weigh 22 pounds each compared to the 17 pound Integrities. However, on a recent 400 mile trip including both back roads and interstate highways, I averaged 50 mpg, and I felt in complete control of the vehicle for every one of those 400 miles. Could I have gotten 52 mpg or possibly even higher with the Integrities? Probably, but my peace of mind and safety are more important to me than the mileage difference.

I have actually considered replacing the OEM wheels with lightweight 15 inch or 16 inch wheels. I know Buddy Club Racing has a 16 inch wheel I like that weighs 11.11 pounds, compared to the OEM wheel at 14.3 pounds. I have put that modification on hold for the moment, because I really like the way the car handles with the Hydroedges currently on the vehicle. My next modification will most likely be installing the TRD Sportivo Suspension.

2. GKarschnick

GKarschnick New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbaltazar @ Jan 11 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]374145[/snapback]</div>
    I noticed the same thing, but then realized that the Comfortreds had a RPM of 891 vs the Integrities 855. That gives about a 4% speedometer eror which also equates to about a 4% displayed MPG. So, before the Comfortreds i was getting 53.5 MPG and after the tire change I am indicating 51.5 MPG. Correcting that for the 4% gets me back to 53.5 MPG.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I went with the ComforTreds, based on comments from this group. I waited until about 30K when the wear bars indicated it was time.

4. afed

afed New Member

I had the Comfortreds on my '01 Honda CRV. I'm no driving expert but they always handled well and drove comfortably for me. Road noise was okay but not great. The CRV is a noisy car by design so I believe most, if not all, tires will be somewhat noisy on that car. In short, I have no reason to believe the Comfortred is noisier than any other. What I didn't like is that the tire is rated for 80K miles and only lasted for 50K (even though rotated religiously), though I did get a sizeable credit from Sears when purchasing replacements.

Coincidentally, I just the other day replaced the Comfortreds with the Michelin Hydroedge's. Only drove the car once since then, but it seemed to handle and ride as well. Maybe a bit better, but I attribute that to comparing brand new tires to bald ones. I won't be able to do a better comparison for some time. Hope they last longer though as they are rated 90K!