1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin HydroEdge vs. the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 925PriusGuy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: Michelin HydroEdge vs. the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred

If you check The Tire Racks website Tire Rack there's a place on the upper right hand part of their homepage to check for local installers.

I did a quick check for Virginia Beach and the closest installer I found was:

BOSS CUSTOM WHEEL
    Installer since: 12/14/2004

Address:
    6106 E VIRGINIA BEACH BLVD
    NORFOLK, VA 23502-2827
    (757) 466-7411

Directions: Located on Virginia Beach Blvd at the 64 Overpass.

Distance: 12 Miles View Map

Hours: Mon-Fri 9-6, Sat 9-4

You can find other local installers on their website. Other online tire dealers may also have the same feature where they ship the tires to your local dealer and you just make an appointment when the tire arrives.

Good luck!

2. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I thought about going with the comfort treds too, but now I am not so sure too. I only have 330 miles on my OEM tires and thought about doing a swap. Does a tire have rolling resistance marked on them anywhere?[you]

3. leeskarha

leeskarha New Member

I don't know where to find rolling restance for a tire. Does anyone one know of a chart. I can't find the info on the Goodyear site.
    -Lee

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SDiego\";p=\"98845)</div>

4. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I had my dealer swap out the OEM tires for the Comfortreds after test driving a Prius with the Integrity tires - there was just too much noise from the tires. I've had Comfortreds on my car since mile 5 (now at 2300) and have gotten consistent highway mileage of 50-51 mpg. In my opinion, the reduction of road noise, the improved handling, and the 80,000 mileage rating is worth losing a mile or two per gallon.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

[font=Comic Sans MS:ad4de51a41]I don't know any concise source of tire rolling resistance information. Manufacturers don't seem to publicize it, and I don't know of any central/government comparison charts.

I have Goodyear Assurance ComforTred tires on my car (for full trademark citation) and agree with ambrothe that they are a great tire with no serious hit on MPG. I think Michelin Energy MX (or something like that), which I had on my Camry and liked a lot, are a low rolling resistance tire, but they weren't available in the size the Prius uses. I chose the ComforTreds because they are the exact same size as the Integritys, but a lot smoother and better wearing.[/font:ad4de51a41]

6. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I don't think that there is any DOT requirement for a manufacturer to stamp a RR number anywhere on the tire so consequently, I don't think that you will have an easy time finding that spec.

If you are looking for a stock sized replacement, I would personally look for something that does NOT have an 700+ treadwear rating. I know a lot of people on here love these tires due to the fact that you can go the distance from the earth to the sun and back but they seriously lack any substantial grip due to the rock hard compound plus tend to ride quite harsh.

Brian
    BT Tech
    305-652-3115

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SDiego\";p=\"98845)</div>

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

925PriusGuy -- please let us know which alternative tire you decide to go with (and how it compares to the stock tires).

I'm strongly thinking about switching to the HydroEdge around the end of August -- just about when the rainy season (could) start in Seattle.

8. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V

I'm actually trying out 17" Scion Tc wheels with Potenza RE92 tires now.

If I keep my stock 15" wheels, I've decided on the Hydroedge tires. Costco has a $60.00 coupon good until 6/26/05, so I have a week or so to make up my mind.

So far, the 17" setup is working nicely. I've noticed about a 5 MPG drop since switching, but I need more time to evaluate that.

My main reason for choosing the Hydroedge over the Goodyear tires was the price and availability. I have Goodyear tires on my Porsche and Goodyear has been nothing short of a nightmare to deal with while trying to resolve a problem with the tires. No more 925PriusGuy dollars are going to Goodyear Tire Co. :cussing:

I'm sure others have had wonderful experiences with them, but I ended up dealing with their corporate offices and it's clear to me that they are clueless in the customer service arena.

Good luck in your choice. If I end up with the Hydroedges, I'll definitely post my impressions.

9. tag

tag Senior Member

I had a set of ComforTreds put on earlier in the week. Up until this point I've had absolutely no problems with the OE Integritys but I picked up a nail that damaged the sidewall in one of them. Thus, that tire being beyond repair, I figured it was time to swap all four and be done with it.

Since then I haven't noticed a discernible hit MPG-wise but I have noticed a decrease in road noise along with a much smoother ride. So far, so good....

10. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

We just put Michelin Hydroedge (740 tread life, 90k tire)) tires on our 2002 Toyota Echo. Vehicle rolls quieter and has good "stick" to the road. This small vehicle just went from "squirrely" to a better driving vehicle.

11. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Costco, $8 per tire, bring them in if you want. Free lifetime balancing, and rotation also, iirc.

12. Schmika

Schmika New Member

SDiego, I have never heard of a marking on a tire speaking on rolling resistance. As a general rule, tires that "grip" better do so because they are stickier. If they are stickier, they resist rolling more. That is a VERY general rule.

I would think that, in order to advertise the fantastic gas mileage, Toyota would pick a tire that gave the best results. However, I would listen to some of the major posters here when they give anecdotal advice on tires and MPG. Of course, that is only if your major focus is MPG.

I admit to a bias towards Goodyears. Thats what most police use on their cars. I have a visceral aversion to Michelin (French company, ya' know)

Politics and my wallet are rarely far apart.

13. P6NaDon

P6NaDon New Member

TireRack has dealers that install tires - check to see if one in your area, etc.

14. P6NaDon

P6NaDon New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika\";p=\"99118)</div>
    While I have tried to buy American (GoodYears) on three different occasions in the past several years, I was sorely disappointed all three times. All troubles with ride quality, tire wear, etc. ended when replaced with Michelins. I have tried other tires also, not just GoodYears, and almost always had problems. Never a Michelin problem.

GoodYears tires on police cars were falling apart at high speeds not too long ago - hopefully this is fixed now. Michelins were used to replace the faulty GoodYears around here, with no such problems.

While I may disagree with a country's politics, I still want the best tire I can get between me and the road - in my opinion, the Michelins!

Also, Michelin has "Energy" tires that I was told indicate low rolling resistance. Consumers Report has done tire articles covering this subject.

15. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

8) Bill Merchant,

I agree with you both. I put Goodyear ComfortTreds on my 04 Prius that had 20,000 miles on it in the early part of December 2004. I currently have 26, 700 miles on the vehicle and have not noticed any decline in mileage.

16. Schmika

Schmika New Member

P6NaDon, Goodyears falling apart? I've been in this job over 25 years and that is a new one to me. Now the Firestones had that problem, though they were skewered by the media with a lot of junk science on that issue. You never hear that Firestone tires themselves were not the cause of all the rollover crashes.

I also get consumer reports and Goodyears are always up in the top 3, year after year. My original Michelin's on my Sebring conv did not wear well and when I replaced them with Goodyears, I got great wear. Of course there are different models of Michelins and Goodyears, we may be comparing apples to oranges.

Have you ever noticed that once someone buys something and spends good money on it, it is very difficult to slam it. All of us have an aversion to admitting we made a mistake. Also, now that I own a Prius (not very common around here) "friends" and "co-workers" always find the effort to tell me of problems with it they have heard of (Prius envy?)

I am getting sick and tired of the media claiming Toyota is "re-calling" the Prius and then report the story of the inquiry into reports of stalling.

But then again, I am as bad as the next guy in criticizing the media and then immediately going out, reading the paper or watching the news, and telling the next guy I see "did ya' hear about the such and so?"

Uh-Oh, getting off topic. My entire issue with tires is not to buy them based on price, but on quality. You don't find quality by responding to the ads of "4 tires for $99".

17. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I have almost 560 miles on my car, and the only thing that seems to bother me mostly is constantly over correcting steering. It's hard to keep the car in a straight line on a good freeway. I am running 42f 40r I thought about switch tires just for that. Any thoughts anyone?

18. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four

19. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Well I just put on Goodyear Assurance ComforTred's today, and the Tire place gave me $40.00 a piece on my Integrity tires, which had 700 miles on them. My steering is alot better, and quiter and smoother. I am very glad I did the change. After reading alot of posts, about how good those tires are, I decided to try it. Alot easier to drive on the freeways now. I don't have to constantly correct the steering. Thanks to all that posted about the Comfortreds.

20. stu_cogan

stu_cogan New Member

All of the major on-line tire sellers, Tire Rack included, have things set up with local shops to do the mounting. They will also accept delivery of the tires for you. Just come in and they will mount and balance the tires and charge you their standard fee.

Stuart