1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin HydroEdge vs. the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 925PriusGuy, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

I just put Comfortreds on my 04. 18K is all I got out of the OEM's. So far (200 miles) I like them much better. Can't say for sure yet, but I have noticed little/no mileage hit. Be aware that new tires take 500 miles or so to fully break in (according to tire rack FAQ) The ride is defintately better and quieter.

PS I paid $340 with tax. locally

2. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Re: Michelin HydroEdge vs. the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred

Has anybody looked at the Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus or the Yohohama AVID H4S high-performance all-season tires?

Although both look like they score a bit lower on Tirerack than the ComfortTred, TripleTreds, or the HydroEdges, I've been running the SP Sport A2 (pre-plus) on my Civic for over 8 years with a lot of satisfaction in handling, and low road noise over the OEM tires and Firestone Firehawk SH30s. The Civic came with low-rolling resistance Firestone FR680s btw.

So has anybody tried any hi-performance all-season tires, or that hi part drops MPG? Otherwise, seems the consensus is ComforTreds or HydroEdges. :)

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Tag -- out of curiosity -- why did you go with the Comortreds over the Hydroedge?

I've been concentrating on the Hydroedge because of the typically wet weather in Seattle, and assuming that they are better in rain than the Comortreds.

However, I'm wondering if I'm assuming incorrectly...

4. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III

I just traded my Goodyear Integrity tires on my new Prius (one week old now) for the Asssurance ComforTred tires.

I did ask about the HydroEdge and the dealer said they were more of a performance tire while the ComforTreds are more of a touring tire. The main difference between the ComforTreds and the TripleTreds are the rain traction benefit.

Another factor was that the TripleTreds did not come in the Prius' standard 185 65 R15 size, so the speedometer would have been off slightly with the next size up tire.

5. tag

tag Senior Member

Jeff,

That was mostly a matter of time and convenience. I was planning to replace my OEMs with the Hydroedge from Costco because of their lifetime free rotations and nitrogen fills. But, as luck would have it, I had to replace at least two of the tires because of a "road hazard" incident. The Goodyear joint is right down the street and was able to get a set of ComforTreds overnight.

From my experience with the ComforTreds so far, plus what Hydroedge owners have written on this board, I really don't think you can go too far astray with either tire.

6. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III

Some of you have talked about trading in your OEM tires.

I called 3 different Discount Tire dealers here in Indianapolis and although they had the same price on the ComforTreds, they varied their trade-in price for the Integritys from $15 to $20 to $40 per tire.

Guess which Discount Tire store I did the trade with?

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

The Dunlop SP Sport A2's wear out incredibly fast, around 10,000 miles for me on my 1994 Camry. Replaced them with the Hydroedges. Awesome tire.

The Plus version of the Dunlop may be better, but I'm sticking with Michelin from now on.

By the way, if you hate the French, you should campaign to give back the Statue of Liberty. The French bastards gave it to us! Make 'em take it back, I say, and eat some Freedom Fries while your at it. Just leave me my Michelins. ;-)

Nate

8. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag\";p=\"101594)</div>
    That's what I'm hearing as well. Thanks Tag!

9. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius\";p=\"101712)</div>
    Something weird going on there for those A2s. I pulled 60K+ miles out of my first set of Sport A2s under aggressive driving. My 2nd set is on the Civic which isn't getting much mileage these days.

So the hydroedges are better than the Sport A2s. Good to know. Thanks!

Btw, if you hate the French, you should tell them to take back the money and effort they used to fund the American Revolution - being revolution buddies et al. :)

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike\";p=\"102022)</div>
    The favor was returned in WWI and WWII.

11. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V

Just an update on my tires…

In the past month I have gone from:

OEM Goodyear’s (48-50 average MPG)... to

17†Scion wheels with Potenza RE92 tires (44 average MPG)... back to

OEM Goodyear’s... to finally now on

Michelin Hydroedge’s (47 average MPG).

I’m puzzled at the drop in MPG from the Goodyear Integrity tires to the Michelin Hydroedge’s. I’ve only gone about 100 miles on the new tires so maybe my observations are premature. The ride quality and noise level is definitely improved with the Hydroedge’s. I don’t miss the “squirrelly†highway behavior, but the mileage hit isn’t appreciated.

Anyone else have similar findings with the Hydroedge’s? If the mileage is truly that close the 17†Scion wheels setup, I’ll probably go back to those. Is everything a trade off with the tires on this car? :cry:

12. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I had a 1.5 to 2 mpg drop, which seems to be consistent with what others have reported.

13. torrens89

torrens89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    :rolleyes:Hi folks:
    You've touched on my favorite subject. I have "suffered" through 50+ years of driving with various good or bad tires.
    I got rid of the OEM tires at 500 miles. They were scary in the rain. I went to ComfortTreads for the smoother ride. They do smooth out the bumps of irregular pavement, but they made the car steering squirrelly.
    The original squirrelly steering feel was also due to poor alignment out of the factory on pickup in April 06. I had the dealer fix that. He said the factory wouldn't pay if the alignment checked OK. I took the chance and said to do it, and I said to set the toe-in at the max spec, as 1701 of MN recommended. The toe was wrong. It had been set at zero. Hence the dart-i-ness some have mentioned. The increased toe improved stability a lot.
    Back to tires. I finally replaced the ComfyTreads with Harmony's at about 56k miles a few months ago. The tracking is much improved. The squirrelly steering is gone. The ride is almost as good as the Comfy's. The mileage is about 2-4 MPG better at 52-54 in the summer (even with 36 psi). Overall, the Harmony's are a good choice. And sometimes Michelin has $70 off specials.
    On the rotation question. The manual says to do front to back. This keeps the tires rotating in the same direction - which is good for the belts not having to learn a new set. The Comfy's also required fr-to-bk. The Harmony's also recommend that. ROTATING tires is very good for safety as the tires spread the extra wear of the fronts that have to do all the turning effort (thus scrubbing) when changing direction. Think of the scary mini-vans that never rotate tires, and you can tell that because their fronts are dark from brake pad dust. Also, when you park next to cars with dark front wheels and worn front tires, you know the driver is not safety conscious, even with a load of kids. Besides the nut behind the wheel, the tires are the most important safety item - as the old saying goes.
    I definitely recommend 1) alignment with max toe-in, and 2) Harmonys by Michelin. I've had Michelin's that hardly needed more than 1/2 oz of balance weights on each tire.
    Oh yeah. 3) Find a tire shop that does Road Force balancing, and that has techs that know how to use this higher level machine. Not S---rs around here in the Boston 'urbs. Sullivan Tires shops do this in BOS area, but make sure you let the service writer you are picky about tire balance.
    I have learned how to change the HIDs, because I like the bright 4300 Kelvin color of the originals. My latest buy is Philips bulbs via Amazon. A bit pricy at 118 each, but the good night-time illumination is what I'm looking for.
    Hope I've given folks some ideas.
    [Super White/2006 pkg 7/ with frame brace and side bump strips. Now at 66k miles. Mobil 1 5W-30 since 5k miles. Keeps good lube during the stop-restarts.]

14. torrens89

torrens89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Hi:
    I had squirrelly steering from day one with my 2006. If the toe-in is set too little, this results in darty tracking. I had the dealer check the toe-in and he found it at about 0. That makes for slightly better mileage, due to the less rolling resistance, but I know you will be happier with getting rid of the dart-i-ness from not enough toe-in.
    The dealer said that Toyota would not pay for an alignment if he found the car within specs. I said to do it, taking a chance on the cost. As the toe-in was wrong, they paid for adjusting the toe to within spec. As 1701 said, make them set the toe at the max inward spec.
    Good luck.

15. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any reason you resurrected a 5-year-old thread, rather than any number of newer threads about tires, or even creating one of your own? Don't expect the folks that contributed to the original thread to reply (or in many cases even still be on PriusChat).

Many of the tire models have changed, been replaced or didn't exist 5 years ago. For instance, I just put on Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires, which are recommended in more modern threads, and I really like them so far. Better grip and better mpg's too. And they seem to ride better.

16. luckyboy

luckyboy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    tirebuyer.com has Goodyear Assurance ComforTred for only $60.80/each with $40 rebate and free shipping, that is $200 shipped plus cost to install. They said they are on closeout and may not last long. I had my local America's tire pricematch them