1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Ice-X Tire Size: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AJP, Oct 11, 2012.

1. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am considering the Ice-X for my winter tires, and wondered if I could have some feedback about the size I should purchase. It appears that they come in two applicable sizes: 195/65/15 and 205/55/16. In a previous thread, I had asked about my Prius "dithering" and two people had recommended a larger tire than the OE specs to prevent this. Someone had even used 205/55/16.

This is my first car and I know very little about changing a tire size from what the manufacturer recommends. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

2. jessiejosco

jessiejosco Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you mean Michelin x-ice? If so, I have these in the 195/65/15 size and they are great. They are quieter than many summer tires, excellent on ice and very good in snow. If you are getting the tires for snow then narrower is better. For ice I am pretty sure it is the opposite, because you want more surface area. But as I said, the 195 size is very good on ice.

Not sure what you mean by "Dithering" but I actually prefer the smaller stock 15inch rim/tire size to the larger sizes. If you don't like the ride quality it is more likely the tires or your car is out of alignment. The stock tires are noisy and do not have a very pleasant ride. I have Michelin harmony summer tires and they ride much better than the stock Goodyears on our other Prius.

3. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I have the Harmonys on right now, and they are nice and quiet. I did mean "X-Ice". I've done further research since my post and have decided to go with 195/65/15...it seems to be a very common size for Prii. Thank you, Jess. :)

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just for grins, LadyJ, can you please describe or define the term you used known as "dithering"? I have tried to figure out what you mean but I am drawing blank.

5. AJP

AJP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Um....I took that term from another member here. :) What I would have said was "wandering" but I thought there was a more official term. :p