1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin MXV4+ questions, please help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coolfire74, May 8, 2007.

1. coolfire74

coolfire74 New Member

I have a 2006 Prius, with package #7. Now, it is a little bit more than one year old, and just hit 8000 miles yesterday. The thing is one of the front tires got a big scratch about 2 month ago, and another tire started to leak slowly about 6 months after purchase. By slowly, I mean it takes 3-4 weeks to leak from 38 psi to 30 psi. Most dealer do not want to deal with the slow leaking problem, since it is very difficult to find the spot. They will just recommend you to change a new tire.

Anyway, I think it is time to change tire for my prius now. Since I hate Goodyear so much, I would like to go to Michelin in stead. A lot of people in this forum use Michelin MXV4+ tires, but I just checked with a local store (BJ), the size of MXV4+ is 195/65R15. But the original tires on my prius is P185/65R15. Here I have some questions:
    1), does the size matters? Can I use 195/65R15 in my prius? Has anyone done this before?
    2), Where did you guys find P185/65R15 Michelin MXV4+ tires? Does it exist (Because the BJ guy told me, there is no P185/65R15 MXV4+ tires at all.) By the way, for "P185/65R15", what is the P stands for?
    3), what are the consequences if I use 195/65R15 instead of P185/65R15? Will it affect the speed monitor, or GPS navigation? Will it affect the MPG?
    4), The price for MXV4+ in BJ is $119. But if I purchase a set of four, I can get $60 off with a coupon. So the total price is $420 for four, including everything (balance, and so on). Is it a good deal? What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot! Any input will be highly appreciated!

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolfire74 @ May 8 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]437651[/snapback]</div>
    With just 8K on the tires, I'd want to find out the cause of the slow leak and see if it's something repairable. A repair's a lot cheaper than a new tire. I wouldn't take it to the dealer; I'd use a reliable tire shop.

What's the "big scratch" on the other one? Obviously it's holding air, so the way you describe it suggests it's just cosmetic.

Of course if you're looking for an excuse to replace them now and don't mind spending the money, go for it. I too will be looking at MXV4+ tires, probably before winter; I have 24K on mine now. Michelin lists them on their web site in P185/65R15.

The "P" in a tire size simply means passenger car tire (as opposed to LT for light truck). It's not uncommon to see the P omitted.

The 195/65R15 is a taller and wider tire. You should check with a tire dealer to make sure it doesn't rub when you turn the front wheel. It will alter slightly your speedometer and odometer readings and, therefore, displayed MPG. I can't speak to its effect on NAV settings; I don't have NAV.

I know some have used 195/60R15, which is also wider but a tad shorter than the stock size. So that too will alter the speedometer and odometer, but in the opposite direction and with a smaller effect than the 195/65's. I can't say whether the difference in readings is significant; I don't remember how much they are.

Can't say whether your quote is a good deal. I haven't gotten as far as comparing prices yet.

3. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We have the MXV4+ on ours (they DO come in the stock Prius size, ours are stock) and I had them on my Lexus until recently. They are an excellent, smooth and quiet, long lasting, low rolling resistant tire. The one drawback is that wet traction is not as good as some other models, but it'll be a LOT better than the Goodyears.

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolfire74 @ May 8 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]437651[/snapback]</div>
    There is a 185/65R15 MXV+ listed on the Michelin site. See http://www.michelinman.com/specs/energy_mxv4_plus/95.html

They don't seem to have one with a "P" in front, but it is my understanding that doesn't matter. Tire Rack doesn't carry that size, but I remember seeing them elswhere online. For example, these guys have them listed under tires that fit the Prius:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/s...rd=15&ar=65

- Tom

5. cyrus69

cyrus69 New Member

if there's sidewall damage, you'd want to change it right away, I don't know what you mean by a scratch. I thought there was something you could add to the tire to fix a slow leak. I've never tried it, might be worth it to get a little more life out of the tires. Slow leaks are a pain, I've had cars where you have to fill the tire every time you fill up. It can be dangerous too if you forget to top it up.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They come in the stock size. I got mine at Sam's Club. They had to order them, but it only took a few days.

Tom

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolfire74 @ May 8 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]437651[/snapback]</div>
    "P" stands for passenger (car). "LT" stands for Light Truck.

Rubber Manufacturers Association

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolfire74 @ May 8 2007, 11:51 AM) [snapback]437651[/snapback]</div>
    The OEM Goodyear Assurance Integrity tire is rated at 855 revolutions per mile (RPM), which is what the speedo and nav are calibrated for, more or less. Tires with a higher or lower RPM will throw reported speed and distance off in the opposite direction.

The Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tire in
    185/65R15 is rated 849 rpm, 99.3% of OEM,
    195/65R15 is rated 836 rpm, 97.8% of OEM,
    195/60R15 is rated 862 rpm, 100.8% of OEM
    205/60R15 is rated 837 rpm, 97.9% of OEM.

The first number is the width of the tire on the ground, so a bigger number puts more rubber on the road for generally better handling, but at the expense of more rolling resistance and lower MPG. The second number is the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the first number, so a lower number means a shorter sidewall which will deflect less on curves, again giving better handling, but at the expense of a slightly rougher ride. Wide short tires look "sportier".

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bill, the Integrity is NOT part of the Assurance line, I can assure you (no pun intended haha).

Only the TripleTred and ComforTred are under the Assurance line.

coolfire, you'd want a 195/60R15 to keep the revs similar. 195/65R15 will make your speedo underread. (i.e. show that you're going slower than you really are).

10. coolfire74

coolfire74 New Member

Thanks a lot for all of you. I learned a lot from here. So, I guess, as long as the second number is 60, I will get correct speed read, right? But if the first number is above 185, I might get better handling but a little bit lower MPG, compared with the original goodyear tires, am I right?

The scratch I said in my post is actually a damage to the sidewall, I can see a scan about 3-5 mm deep. So, I want to replace at lease two tires (the scratched one and the leaking one), but I also want to change to other brands such as michelin, since tires from different brands may have different features, I guess the better way is to replace all four of them. I really do not like the Goodyear tires, they are junks. ....

Thanks again for your help!

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    coolfire, here's a quick run-down of the tyre specs:

I'll use the stock tyres as a reference - 185/65R15.

185 is the width of the tyre in millimetres
    65 is the aspect ratio (aka sidewall height). In this case, it's 65% of 185.
    R = radial tyre
    15 = diameter of rim in inches.

so, in order to keep the same (or similar) circumference, you have to lower the aspect ratio as you increase the width of the tyre.

12. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    coolfire74

Keep in mind the slow leak may not be the tire.

The Prius is the first car I have owned with tire pressure monitors. I notice they are not the soft stem type that tire dealers usually replace with each new tire, but hard and rigid. I have to assume that the rigid pressure monitor stem has to have some type of seal and because of lack of experience with these, I don't know if these are common to leak. Has anyone on PC experienced problems with these over time leaking?

If in fact you purchase new tires, you may still have the leak if the valve stem is the source. I'm not sure I would used the liquid leak stops others have mentioned unless I was confident it would not cause problems for the pressure monitors ($$). Perhaps others with more experience on this could provide more info. Do these pressure monitors have o-rings or seals to replace with age as needed?

I just turned 9000 miles and the stock Goodyear tires still look new but I too look for a excuse to replace them. Like you I will go with the MXV4+ in the stock size, about the same price as you quote at $400 from our local Sams Club.

13. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 8 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]437956[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, you are quite right. I assure you, I have learned! I went to the Goodyear site, entered 2006 Prius (2007 not in their guide) and was recommended the Assurance ComforTred... The Integrity tire was last on the list.

I recommend the Wheel and Tyre Bible if readers want to learn more about tires/tyres.

14. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I purchased a set of MXV4 + tires at Costco about 6 months ago in 195-60-15. Fuel mileage seems to be better than the UN-Integrity's by a couple of MPG.

Speed is off by about 1.2 MPH as opposed to 0.4 MPH on the Integrity's.

Handling and wet surface traction is much improved.

They also have a decidedly "better look" because of the wider stance and lower aspect ratio.

I would say - Go for it!

15. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    BJ's may be quoting to you the MXV4 SV8 tire, not the MXV4+. The smallest SV8 is the 195/65/15.

Wayne

16. coolfire74

coolfire74 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ May 8 2007, 11:30 PM) [snapback]438042[/snapback]</div>
    I see. Thanks a lot!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kn6vv @ May 9 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]438060[/snapback]</div>
    So, if you change tires in other places other than Toyota dealers, do you need to ask the guy to handle the pressure monitor carefully, specifically for prius? Because I am not very sure if they really know much about the prius and prius's pressure monitor system.
    Thanks!

17. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 9 2007, 09:22 AM) [snapback]438190[/snapback]</div>
    Its MXV4 S8 ;)

18. chrisg67

chrisg67 New Member

ok, here's the thing. I'm picking up my new Prius tomorrow and I an fairly concerned about this tire situation and I'm seriously considering negociating with the dealer to put different tires on. Lots of people seem to like the Michelin MXV4 plus but the Harmony got better ratings on the Tire Rack site.

Any insight?

Thanks,
    c.

19. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Don't give TireRack's ratings much weight. They way they calculate them favors new tires HEAVILY and you'll notice old timers like the MXV4s wind up having fairly moderate to good ratings, while the new tires look fantastic. Look at the miles reported, the MXV4s may have 20,000,000 miles reported while the Harmony's might have 800,000. Of course the MXV4s will look like a lesser tire because their ratings will have regressed to the mean.

You can't compare the Harmony and the MXV4 anyways because they're different types of tires. The Harmony is a T rated passenger car tire, very mediocre, and the MXV4 is a V rated touring tire that is shipped on tons of expensive cars including Lexus, BMW, Mercedes Benz, etc.

Don't be worried about the tires, the Integrity's aren't dangerous they're just crappy. just swap em out 10k miles down the line.

20. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Based on Bills revs/mile figures, my choice would be the 185/65R15. At 99.3% of OEM revs, that would bring down the speedo just a tad (mine reads about 1mph too high with the stock tires).

I've been very happy with MXV4+ on my 1998 Volvo. I got 100K from one pair and 80K from another, though much of that was highway mileage. Still, that's good wear.