1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin MXV4+ questions, please help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by coolfire74, May 8, 2007.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They are VERY long wearing tires. I got 45k on my Lexus with them, and really only replaced them because I could tell traction in the rain and snow was not what it once was. They would have lasted another 20k. I have the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V on there now and they are also very smooth and quiet tires, traction is a little better than the MXV4s but they're a little louder and definately higher rolling resistance.

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(coolfire74 @ May 9 2007, 07:43 AM) [snapback]438230[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I know our local Les Schwab knows about them. This is a town of 10,000 population. When I had my winter tires put on last fall they asked if I had the sensors. This is before they had a chance to look at the tires. I didn't as I have a 2005.

Dave M.

3. chrisg67

chrisg67 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ May 9 2007, 04:36 PM) [snapback]438559[/snapback]</div>

OK I did some more research and agree that the MXV4 Plus' are a better tire and went to double check with a tire-guy I know to verify. He agrees, but said that the MXV4 Plus is being discontinued in the near future so if something happened, I wouldn't be assured of getting a replacement of the same tire .... not cool!

He recommended that I stay with the Michelin line and go specifically with the Pilot Exalto A/S and upgrade the size to 195/60R15.

Secondly, I spoke to the dealer about swapping out the Integrities for a Michelin and I would even pay the difference. The sales guy went to the service department to ask the question. He said they could swap out tires and I could pay for that (who didn't see that one coming, right?). Anyway, he said the service department completely agrees that the Integrities are crap and they don't want them. They don't have any use for them.

So .... looks like I'm going with the Pilots, but not at the dealer. They got very favorable reviews.

C.

4. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chrisg67 @ May 10 2007, 10:24 AM) [snapback]439047[/snapback]</div>
    They've been saying they're going to discontinue the MXV4 Plus for years, I don't buy it. They come OEM on too many cars. They've been slowly turning their OEM contracts over to th MXV4 S8, but the MXV4+ will be around for a long time.

Back when I bought my last set of Dunlop tires in 2000 I was replacing Dunlop SP Sport 4000s on a 98 LS400. They told me they were phasing out the 4000s with the 5000s which made sense so I bought the 5000s. They were terrible tires, and to this day they STILL make and sell the 4000s right alongside the 5000s 7 years later.

I don't have direct experience with the Exaltos, but I do know that they're not as low rolling resistance as the MXV4s.

I'd still get the MXV4s personally, but the Exalto is also a good tire.

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The MXV4+ is being discontinued. This is an e-mail I received from Michelin.

Besides, the S8 has a treadwear of 440 vs. 400 for the +.

Wayne

6. chrisg67

chrisg67 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ May 10 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]439155[/snapback]</div>

Any comment on the Exaltos??

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We'll see ;)

8. chrisg67

chrisg67 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ May 10 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]439173[/snapback]</div>

OK, yesterday, I replaced the Goodyear Integrities with Michelin Pilot Ealtos A/S 195/60 R15. Holy crap what a difference! Noise way less, road grip fantastic!

For Sale: 4 tires brand new 185/65 R15. Any takers??????

9. gnrob

gnrob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone tried the Michelin Hydroedge? I need to replace soon.

** But in my case, the MFD and odometer both say the car went a little further that it actually did. (Used highway mile markers in several locations to check it. The MFD mpg is always higher than the actual as well. I try to use the same pump.)

Thanks,
    Rob

10. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, Rob, if the speedo reads slightly high, the odometer will also log more miles than actual. It's only a small percentage, but I'd like tires with slightly fewer revs per mile to help correct the error.

11. gnrob

gnrob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So I went to my local tire store (after calling around for best prices) and got Michelin Harmony tires. They said the Hydroedge would be quite noisy due to the extreme air flow generated to blow water out of the path of the tires. The Harmony are rated very high for wear and are described as 80,000 mile tires. UTQG = 680 A B and revs/mile are 848 compared to the OEM Goodyear Integrity's 855, so I hope that will get the miles recorded closer to the actual miles traveled. I stayed with the 185/65R15. The handling was never a problem for me. Side winds and big trucks are not a factor either, except for side winds over 40 mph, but that is to be expected in almost any vehicle. The Harmony tires are a good bit quieter and the handling is extremely precise. Can't go wiggling the steering wheel or you will find yourself in another lane pronto! In short, I like them.

The MXV4-Plus is a much faster wearing tire, UTQG = 400 A A, meant for those who really want to go around curves very fast and also want to replace tires more frequently. The dealer still has them, in seeming contradiction to the posted statement from Michelin.

I will start a new thread once I have some information about these tires and my results of mileage checks, etc.

Thanks,
    Rob Morrison

12. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chrisg67 @ May 13 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]441319[/snapback]</div>
    Honestly I like the goodyears that are on it. I'd be interested in the 4 new tires. How much?

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gnrob @ May 17 2007, 11:18 PM) [snapback]444614[/snapback]</div>
    Actually the MXV4 line are touring tires, not designed for curves at all. The treadwear may be rated at 400, but unfortunately in my experience with tires (which is extensive), higher treadwear tires like the Harmony sacrifice grip, handling, ride, and rolling resistance. Softer rubbers may have to be replaced more often, but the driving experience on them is better. Anyways I know sets of MXV4s with 90k miles on them.

The Harmony and the MXV4 can't even be compared, if anything the MXV4 is too high a line tire for the Prius, but they are definately an upgrade from the Harmonys.