1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

michelin or bridgestone turanza for 2010 prius gen 3?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by wpease, Nov 6, 2022.

1. wpease

wpease Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    hello, Ive a Prius III , 2010 5 door. The previous tires are all worn and so Im looking for a new set. Ideally Id like something that would be quiet and efficient. Web searches turned up Bridgestone - TURANZA QUIETTRACK; dont know if there's anything to 'quiet track'/
    my auto repair person recommended against bridgestone , suggested Michelin, so I wanted to check on this bulletin board whether there'd be a recommended manufacturer/model. Thanks in advance,
    regards
    W

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Tires are like anything else everybody has a set they're a trade-offs throughout the range of desires but most modern tires today seriously It is really not a lot of discussion people claiming they're autocross drivers and performance hotheads and whatever they got going on they just have a preference because what they've been marketed to as most tires today seriously unless you're putting them in some extreme circumstances pretty much are very similar I go with the $45,000 or so mile we're out warranty thing so I'm changing them while they still look nice and black and nice I don't care about the hundred thousand mile michelins that come off white and cracking or gray and cracking or whatever that's for somebody else but $47 a pop that I pay I'll stick with that not $135 a tire for $90,000 miles or whatever it is these days

3. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If theses will be your tires all year round (no snow tires), then you want Michelin.
    Michelin have better grip when dry, wet, and are "okay in light snow".
    Bridgestone will likely last a little longer (?5%?), and may be a little cheaper. However, they are an "okay" rain tire, and a very poor snow(any amount) tire.

I run Blizzak snows during the winter.
    I'll be switching to Michelin's, and soon as I can find 2 more gen4 rims at a half-decent price. (I'll keep my stock tires and rims as backup.)

Good Luck!

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "Michelin" is a pretty vague recommendation; your guy wasn't more specific? Not sure what I'd pick in Michelin, maybe Defender (T+H if not mistaken). They're so-so for rolling resistance, not terrible, smooth running, and long-lifed. @bisco likes his Energy Saver A/S, but not sure if you can still get them.

The go-to Bridgestone for Prius, what Toyota often puts on them at factory, is Ecopia EP422 Plus. Except: Bridgestone makes three versions of that; they're made in Japan, US, and Mexico. Toyota uses the Japanese version. All 3 versions have physically different tread, and various spec differences. For my OCD at least, this makes the Ecopia EP422 Plus a non-starter, or at most a reluctant choice.

If you can still snag Bridgestone Ecopia EP20, they were a Toyota OEM for some time, are VERY good for mpg. Downsides: they get noisy as they wear (maybe they all do?), and they are treacherous in any amount of snow once they are below 6/32" remaining, in my experience. Plus, they are an econo tire, it kinda shows. Only come in 195/65R15.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I love Michelins for their ride, extreme long life, ability to maintain a balance and overall value especially when you consider many other tires are replaced in half the miles. I generally buy them at Costco during an every other month sale. Usually it is buy three get one free with free rotations, balance and repair. Discount Tires often comes close in pricing. I like them so much that I swap out factory tires when the car is new and sell them. Generally there are only two Michelin options for any given car.

#5 rjparker, Nov 7, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    Merkey likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Costco's Michelin X-Tour is widely acknowledged to be equiv. to Defender.

Merkey likes this.
  7. wpease

wpease Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    thank you , All. I guess Michelins are it, and as far as quiet rides no particular recommendation..
    Thanks again,
    W

Foxglove likes this.
  8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Michelins reduce road noise