1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Premier--Very Noisy After Rotation?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Starship16, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you did that you would be right back where you started, that is assuming they did rotation type C.

Can you ask them what they did
    ?

If indeed they did Rotation Type C, I would just swap the front left and right.

2. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks again Mendel. I'm glad you understand puzzles. Your suggestion is the most easiest solution. And yes, I will ask them tomorrow exactly what type of rotation they did.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's cool if @Tideland Prius is reading this. You invite to many memories of a former member, Coast Cruiser who has since gone to pastures new by negative invitation from our mods.

Nah! Too complicated. I just turn the hearing aids off.

krmcg, bisco and Starship16 like this.
  4. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Chazzman, thanks very much for your comments. You are right, my Prius is HOWLING right now. That's a good way to describe it! Twice as loud, compared to when they were installed 7,500 miles ago. Is it just Michelin? Or do all tire brands increase in noise after a rotation? My previous car also had Michelin tires, and the same thing happened with that car. HOWLING.

That's a common complaint, the treadlife not being as long as advertised. Some people think Michelin has changed the rubber composition or something? I'd be happy if I just got 40,000 out of these Premiers. But the noise level will drive me insane long before I reach that. :ROFLMAO: I'm on my way to have them rebalanced, and swap the 2 front wheels as Mendel suggested.

#44 Starship16, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Where the rubber meets the road...

The sound of silence...

NOT!

Swapping the front wheels side to side failed to reduce the loud tire noise. Maybe just ever so slightly. (The tire shop used rotation C pattern in the picture above.) I don't think I will ever rotate them again. Just drive it till they wear out.

All 4 wheels were also out of balance by 1 ounce on each wheel. That was corrected. How could they come out of balance so soon? I've only driven 1000 miles since the rotation. Right now I am not a big fan of Michelin tires! I almost bought a set of Continentals that were on sale.

Just another Prius oddity. ;)

bisco and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2018-6-11_9-32-26.png

If
    that's what they did before, then your tires are right back where they were at the outset.

Did you ask how they rotated them the first time around?

Is this a dealership? Or?

#46 Mendel Leisk, Jun 11, 2018
  7. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hi Mendel. It's a tire shop. America's tire. That is where I bought the Michelin premier tires. And they are also the ones who did the first free rotation.

So this morning I asked him, how did you rotate my tires 1000 miles ago? What pattern did you use? And he told me they rotated them just like that picture I showed you (above). It's pattern C, for a front wheel drive vehicle.

I had them swap the front wheels only, left to right, and right to left, just as you suggested. The tire tech agreed, he said it may help with the noise. Unfortunately I do not notice a decrease in the noise level. Like I said, maybe just ever so slightly because the wheels were out of balance. That's odd, how could they come out of balance so soon? (Maybe they just did a sloppy job when installing them.)

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If @Cruising the Coast wants to, let me know.

I do recall Coast Cruiser.

RCO likes this.
  9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Suggested tire rotation interval should not be a dealer decision but the tire manufacturers.
    I was rotating my tires every 5,000 miles at every oil change when I had my 2008 Prius and then I went to Costco and had new tires put on and they would rotate them for free. I went back at 5,000 miles and they told me they wouldn't rotate them until they had 7,500 miles on them. They were Michelin tires.

I did have one car that when I rotated the tires they made a lot of noise, I ended up moving them back to their original position.
    I don't know why they made noise either so I can't help. Most of the road noise in my area come from really bad roads.
    I wouldn't know a quiet tire if I heard it in Indiana.

Merkey, bisco and Starship16 like this.
  10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Now you've put them back where they were, you have to un-howl them by 1000 miles :) ,maybe they will quieten down then.

RCO and Starship16 like this.
  11. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks all. It's pretty confusing when it shouldn't be.

*Toyota says rotate every 5,000 miles, straight front to back, and straight back to front.
    *Michelin just told me in a chat, to rotate my Premiers every 6,000 to 8,000, using the rotarion pattern I posted above in the picture. The one for front-wheel drive vehicles. The front wheels come straight back, and the rear wheels move forward in an X.
    *The tire shop told me the same, every 6,000 to 8,000, using the front-wheel drive pattern as Michelin described.

I think I'm just going to leave everything alone now. They never quieted down, 1,000 miles after the rotation. I will have the balance checked twice a year, but not rotate. Now I have to do a Google search and see why they came out of balance so soon!

(Edit: even when those Michelin Premiers were brand new, they were never really "quiet." Somewhat less noisy than the OEM Toyo tires, but still loud - and getting louder. I'll go with them for another year and then look for a different brand. And Toyota sure dropped the ball with a lack of sound insulation in this early model Gen4! The ROAD NOISE comes right up thru the floor, and thru each door. Very irritating.)

#51 Starship16, Jun 11, 2018
  12. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How could we ever forget him? He certainly voiced his opinions, LOUD & clear!!!

That's right, and that's why I believe we should leave well alone and simply renew the tyres in pairs (either front, or rear) when necessary. That way we'll get maximum longevity with minimal fuss.

Starship16 likes this.
  13. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Reading more owner comments on tire review websites. Lots of complaints about Michelin Premier tires. The treadwear rating says they will last 60,000 miles. But many owners report only getting 25,000 miles. Noise starts increasing after 15,000 miles, and some report the ride gets harsh. A few Prius owners also complained about the high noise level.

After all that re-configuring, and re-balancing, my Prius still doesn't feel right. Or sound right. Or ride right. Maybe they can change my username to GRUMPY OLD MAN, because my Prius is making me really angry. :( It is no longer pleasant or fun to drive. I'm happy with the gas mileage, but after only about 10 miles you will be deaf and have a headache.

Merkey likes this.
  14. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
  15. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Has anyone with this kind of a problem actually contacted Michelin directly ?
    Sometimes they have "secret warranty" programs for customer good will.......but you won't know if you don't ask.

Starship16 likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's not true. Arguing with myself, I know.

Assuming they've now done two type C rotations, like this:

upload_2018-6-12_7-16-18.png

Every tire is now going in the reverse direction, and on the opposite side of what it was at the beginning. The story so far:

Front Left > Rear Left > Front Right
    Front Right > Rear Right > Front Left
    Rear Left > Front Right > Rear Right
    Rear Right > Front Left > Rear Left

To restore the tires to their original positions, you need to do this:

Front Left > Front Right
    Front Right > Front Left
    Rear Left > Rear Right
    Rear Right > Rear Left

Or, to put them in the positions they would be if they had been rotated per the Owner's Manual, ie only rotated front to back and back to front, no cross rotation:

Front Left > Rear Right
    Front Right > Rear Left
    Rear Left > Front Right
    Rear Right > Front Left

This last one is what I would do.

17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. There was only one type C rotation. And that's what started all the noise.

So yesterday I went and had them swap the two front wheels-- right to left and left to right. That brought everything back to original. Rolling in the direction as when they were first installed.

But I still got a vibration In the floorboard and the seat and slightly in the steering wheel, when I get up to 50 mph. Also the noise is still there. They still feel out of balance. Now I am at a different tire shop, one that I have used in the past, and they are rebalancing the wheels (again!) as we speak. I'm wondering if those Michelin tires are out of round? After this, I give up.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    5FBCAA3C-4C71-4933-9BC9-4C8249677DAF.jpeg

Noise problem solved! :ROFLMAO:

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's the best thing you could have done, get's the wheels as they should be, following a Toyota recommended rotation. And yet they continue to be noisy...

#59 Mendel Leisk, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Starship16 likes this.
  20. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Back in the day, there was a process called "truing" where they would spin the balanced tires while still attached to the car and use an abrasive setup to grind the tires to be as round as possible. I never thought that that was a good idea - giving up usable tire tread, but in your case this might be worth looking into...

Starship16 likes this.