1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Premier--Very Noisy After Rotation?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Starship16, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What kind of tires did you get, and how do you like them so far?

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aha! The modernistic pagan rain dances are indeed international. :sick:

Just not one far, far away - huh?

krmcg and Starship16 like this.
  3. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Old and retired. Always like to lurk, even from space. :) I see my favorite subjects pop up often. Noise, tires, and oil changes.

RCO likes this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought another set of TOYO stock tires. I spent a lot of time reading reviews and when done there were things people didn't like about all of them. I knew I had no problem with the stock tires so I now own eight stock tires, plenty of spares. Lol

RCO and Starship16 like this.
  5. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

There is a tool that goes over each stud that cleans the mounting surface where the wheel seats. Because of dissimilar metal corrosion caused by aluminum wheels in contact with the steel mounting flange that hold the wheel studs, it removes the crud so your wheel don't come loose. Did you ever notice they usually tell you or it is written on your invoice to retorque your wheels at 50 or 100 miles.
    I'll see if I can find the tool.

#125 padroo, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks very much padroo. Never seen that done anywhere before. And no, no shop has ever told me to re-torque my wheels at 50 or 100 miles. Not even the dealers. Thanks for the info.

But seriously, 90% of drivers don't even check their oil! I doubt if anyone is going to take the time to re-torque the wheels. Including me LOL.

#126 Starship16, Jun 15, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I find that a little puzzling. More so if they're ever pulling the wheels off for a brake inspection.

I've noticed that, from Kal Tire here. I'm mostly the rotater, with snow tire swaps, and have never retorqued. I don't know that it's necessary. With Ikea furniture, yeah, but steel-to-steel, meh.

Yeah I've heard of that. Looks very effective. Have you used one? I make do with a small wire brush, just occasionally, and for the most part just wipe the interface with a rag. I sometimes put thin application of anti-seize on too, helps. Lasts for a few years too, at least with our low mileage.

#127 Mendel Leisk, Jun 15, 2018
    Starship16 and RCO like this.
  8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why puzzling? Basically, they're getting rewarded for very little work.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, if you have the wheels off anyway, for a brake inspection, put them back in original location? Or there's no brake inspections either?

10. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, that's what I saw them doing at the tire shop. Thanks, great video. That guy is very thorough. :)
    (Semper Fi. Thank you. My father was the Marine in the family--WWII, Guadalcanal. I was just an Air Force guy. I couldn't even carry a Marine's lunch! :ROFLMAO:)

#130 Starship16, Jun 15, 2018
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe, maybe not. Better than being a Marine's lunch! ;)

12. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think tire shops ask that you either come back or retorque your wheels is because of liability. I have seen it printed on my receipt. I had a car that a wheel came loose after the tire shop put new tires on it.
    When I went back he told me they should have been retorqued. I broke two studs. Up north with heavy salt on the road those aluminum wheels corrode where they meet the rotor. If you don't clean it up you will get a false torque and with time the wheel will come loose. I always look at both mating surfaces anytime I have a wheel off and put a little grease on them.

Ist Marine Air Wing DaNang Vietnam 1970-1971 A-6A Intruder electrician. Air Force Reserves A10 Warthog electrician 9 years during the Gulf War.

13. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought the Prius because of the supposed long-term reliability, longevity, gas mileage, and very low maintenance as listed in the owners manual / maintanence log. (I read the maint log online, before I even bought the car.) It sure looks simple. Basically it is just oil changes, filters, tire rotations, and brake inspections. At 100,000 miles or so, it says to change the two coolants and the spark plugs. An owner could do much more of course, but I want to keep things as simple as possible.

I'm no mechanic. Have no tools. Don't enjoy working on cars and no desire to. I'm at the mercy of the dealer service dept. Just hope they don't screw up those simple maintenance chores. It seems all the big mechanical problems start at 100k? I would probably just trade the car at that point. I don't keep a vehicle more than 10 yrs. And I sure don't want to spend my retirement worrying about a damn car!
    (A simple (and cheaper!) Corolla would have probably been a better choice for me. Looking forward to seeing the redesigned 2019 model.)

#133 Starship16, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My 2008 Prius was good to me, in ten years never took it back to the dealer except warranty work (HID headlights) and recalls, I expect my 2016 to be the same.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  15. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I respect the do it yourselfers, the backyard mechanics. I just don't have the skill, or the physical ability, or the desire. I don't mind the once a year trip to the dealer for an oil change and inspection. I like looking at all the new models. I do change the filters myself. That's about it. :LOL:

Truthfully, I don't drive nearly enough to justify having a hybrid vehicle. It was probably a poor decision on my part. The Corolla would've been a better choice. And I could have saved about $11,000. Realistically, I may only drive about 6500 miles per year? 10,000 is a stretch. I don't even qualify to be on priuschat!:ROFLMAO:

#135 Starship16, Jun 16, 2018
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Same story here, maybe 8000~9000 kms per year. Still change the oil every 6 months.

Starship16 likes this.
  17. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It's odd, I never inherited my dad's mechanical skills and abilities. He was an auto mechanic, auto body repair, and a auto painter for about 68 of his 87 years of life. He taught himself. But I never asked him to work on my cars. He hated working on cars at home. Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there! :)

#137 Starship16, Jun 16, 2018
    padroo, krmcg, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  18. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Oh no! Say it's not so, Joe!

The placebo effect?

When I left the Toyota dealer last Thursday, after having a third rotation and a third rebalancing and an alignment... the car seemed to drive much better and the tires were quieter… for about 3 days.

But now I am noticing all the noise again, and starting to feel that vibration in the floor pan and the steering wheel. I've run out of ideas. I think I will try increasing the tire pressure to 45, and see if that makes any difference. Maybe the jarring bumpy ride will distract me from the noise and vibration. :LOL:

Does anybody have Continental Pro contact tires? And how are they? I saw lots of new Corollas at the dealer with those tires. Should I blow another $500?

19. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Or buy a set of ear plugs. :whistle:

Just out of curiosity, do your present tires have directional arrows on the side walls ??

P.S. Over a LONG life and a LOT of sets or tires, I've had this happen maybe once every 8 or 10 sets so I don't really worry about it much. When I do get a set that goes to hell after a rotation (almost always OEM tires) I just live with it or replace them.

Some people, however, decide to solve the problem by NEVER rotating their tires......ever. They run until the ones on the drive axle wear out and then replace only those 2. I don't like that theory but it seems to work for some.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, Michelin Premier A/S are not directional.