1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Premier--Very Noisy After Rotation?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Starship16, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks Sam. Mendel is correct, no arrow and not directional. Michelin customer service rep also confirms it.
    You ever been driving beside a 4X4 pickup truck with those knobby tires? And that constant "hum" those tires make? Well, my car sounds similar, not as loud of course, but very similar and annoying. And now that darn vibration again. (I'm going out now to crank up the psi, and fly her around the city.)

2. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I topped off the air. I am somewhere between 43 and 46 PSI. My old trusty Milton pencil tire gauge shows 46 pounds. And my new Accutire digital gauge, recommended by consumer reports magazine, shows 43 pounds. I only came 10 miles so far, and the ride is not as bumpy and harsh as I thought it would be. I stopped to take a walk at the pier. Here is what I am seeing.

CBD8BFAD-6C60-42B0-9A0F-31766FEAACD7.jpeg

Pretty gloomy and empty today. I keep going south I will end up in China? No, China is West of the U.S.

#142 Starship16, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I really don't think that is a good idea.

The problem IS that the steel belts have shifted just ever so slightly and there probably is a slight cupping of the tread; maybe so slight that you can't really see it with the naked eye.

NOTHING can be done to fix that.......and anything that stresses the tires will just make it worse.
    And that includes making a drastic change in the operating pressure, either up or down.

Tires are really important. Please be careful with what you do with them.
    Just because they are SUPPOSED to be OK at the max. pressure on the sidewall doesn't necessarily mean that they WILL be OK.
    After all, they aren't supposed to get noisy when rotated either.

Good luck.

Starship16 likes this.
  4. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Very good information. Thanks again Sam.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I think you can take that to the bank. (y)

Starship16 likes this.
  6. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Drove 40 miles over various kinds of road conditions; various speeds. Placebo effect again? o_O It felt good, I didn't notice any vibration, the steering was crisp and precise, it tracks true & straight, didn't feel any overly harsh ride... and the tire noise? A little less I'd guess. Was I asleep? I'll test again when we get our 90 degree heat in a coupe days.

Factory specs is 36 front / 35 rear. I will probably back the psi off a bit, to 40. That's only 4 or 5 over. Leave it there.
    Ok, thanks guys. I've bored you enough. Time to bury this thread.

#146 Starship16, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----

"42 is the answer to all things in the Universe." Thank you ETP. Where's he been? He was a funny guy. I enjoyed all his posts. I found the sweet spot for my tires, and 42/41 psi it is. My Prius is riding & handling great. Now I just need to find some rain... test the wet handling.

(I also washed and detailed and polished the Starship. And you wouldn't believe how quiet it is now!:ROFLMAO:)

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.