1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin Primacy MXM4 Review

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, Jun 29, 2011.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    *sorry about double posting. I'm not sure how to make the info available to both GenIII and GenII owners*

I decided to junk my old Kumho Ecsta ASX tires and swap to a newer LRR tire from Michelin. My Kumhos were balding and becoming unsafe in wet weather. My new tire? The Michelin Primacy MXM4. It is a new tire even though the name may be confused with the Primacy MXV4. The new tire features a fairly high treadwear rating, excellent wet traction, and a decent price. It is designed for high end touring sedans like BMW and Mercedes but since I have 17" wheels it will work just fine for the Prius. [​IMG] The use of sunflower seed oil is a bonus for sustainability and for wet weather traction. For moe on the use of sunflower seed oil click HERE. So I went from an orange peel oil tire (dB Super E-Spec) to a sunflower seed oil tire. Go organic! lol

Michelin Primacy MXM4 (Grand Touring All-Season)
    UTQG=500 AA A, 51psi, 10/32, 21lbs, 844 $132

My initial impression of the MXM4 tires (215/45/17) is they are VERY quiet and smooth riding. I drove for the first day at the Prius manufacture pressure spec (35/33?) and the ride was very comfortable and quiet. Compared to my old tires these things felt like riding in a Cadillac! Handling was solid and the car didn't feel wishy washy like it usually does at these "low" pressures. My MPG did not seem to change much but I driven very few miles on the first day but I did notice that they seem to roll much easier when gliding.

Today, I aired the tires up to 50/48psi just to see how they compared to the Kumhos.

Noise: The MXM4 is much quieter on than my Kumhos (even when new) and are nearly equal or even quieter than my dB Super E-Spec (185/65/15) tires. Over smooth surfaces and rough surfaces the tire is very quiet. The only time I notice them is when hitting expansion joints are potholes and even then they are much quieter than the Kumhos and especially the dB Super E-Spec which pings pretty hard on expansion joints. The noise increases as pressure goes up. If you want a smooth ride with very little tire noise I would suggest keeping them below 40psi. This is an excellent tire for folks who purchased the Prius V and want it to feel like a BMW.

Handling: The tires stick like glue. They are a little softer going into a corner than my worn Kumhos but they inspire much confidence when leaning hard and they made no fuse during the hard sweeping turns on various onramps. Keep in mind these tires are not broken in yet so traction should be less now than after break-in. Freeway attitude is smooth and the tires respond well to steering input. I will say that after airing them up to 50/28psi the car became more twitchy at freeway speeds. This condition requires more steering input that I don't particularly care for so after this test phase I will likely drop the pressure to the low 40s. I'll provide an update after a 1,000 miles or so.

Traction: It's rather hard to judge traction in a car that cannot spin the tires but in terms of lateral grip through corners the car is solid with nary a squeel when pressed hard into a corner. I have lowering springs on the car so I can take corners much faster than I could on stock springs yet these tires simply held without fuss.

Mileage: I cannot comment accurately on fuel mileage just yet because I still need to break the tires in and check my alignment. The hundred miles I drove today showed an increase of about 2mpg but this could easily be due to road conditions despite this being my usual commute. The tires do feel as if they roll much easier than the Kumhos though not nearly as easy as the dB Super E-Spec or the Nokian i3 but what do you expect from a larger, wider luxary tire? I'll drive my normal commute tomorrow and compare MPG numbers from Monday. I'll update MPG numbers after break-in.

Appearance: I'm not sure how I feel about the appearance of the tire. I know this is not a concern for some people but there are those who care about how a tire looks after they spent so much money on new wheels. [​IMG] The tire is nice-looking despite the tread pattern being rather boring when compared to something like Pirelii or Nitto tires. The MXM4s feature a very large "rim protector" if that is what it is. It is the largest I've seen and looks rather odd at first but when viewed from a distance it makes the tire appear thinner (aspect ratio smaller) so it is kind of cool. I'll let you guys decide. See pics below.

Price: The price of the MXM4 is comparable or less than a lot of other high performance tires. I paid $139/ea. at Costco. TireRack.com sells them for $132/ea. Because they are Michelin there is always a $70 rebate floating around. Costco takes care of the rebate for you. Total out the door was $607 for the tires plus mounting, balancing, environmental fee etc..

Summary: Despite having driven just shy of 200 miles on these tires, I think I made a great choice and am enjoying the ride. As a bonus, the new tires now make my speedometer read accurately. No more 2mph off business. The confidence inspired by these tires is worth every penny. Especially after starting to hydroplane on my old tires during a freak thunderstorm yesterday. [​IMG]

For more information on the tire and to see TireRack.com tests (video) click the links below.

Michelin Primacy MXM4

Testing New Grand Touring All-Season Tires

Attached Files:

4 people like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    These tires are #1 on my list right now, but it it will be considerable miles down the road before our OEM Michelin Pilots are worn.

Someone posted here about their experiences with various tire pressures, having 215/45R17's. They settled on 37/36 for front and rear respectively, reasoning that low profile tire's ride quality suffers more when raising pressures.

I had been using 42/40, but just started giving 37/36 (still higher than placard) a try. I've found it smooths out the bumps noticeably, improves feel, and so far neglibible impact on mileage.

Update, July 14, 2011:

After a couple of road trips at lower 37/36 pressure, our mileage seems the same. That is comparing to previous 42/40, which was turning us into bobble-heads, going through parking lots with speed bumps. Very seat-of-pant, but D.O. for perceived rolling resistance.

Just for the record, the Canadian 3rd gen comes with 215/45R17 stock, similar to US V model.

Also, after just a few 1000 km's on our OEM Michelin Pilot's (had snows on our last fall purchase for the winter), I see the fronts are already below 8/32" remaining, rears still around 9/32", more-or-less as new. So treadware on our OEM's seems to be happening pretty fast.

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Mendel!

I will definitely be lowering the pressure. The ride is just so much smoother and quiet. :)

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Great tires. I am seriously considering a set of the older Primacy MXV4 tires for my 2011 if I can find someone to take the Avids S33d tires in on trade.

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The MXV4 is a great tire with a long treadlife. I think they are rated UTQG 640? The rolling reistance may be higher than some of the other specialty tires but the long life helps lessen the economic gap. I'd be real curious to see how they stack up against the Nokian enTYRE and the Continental ConiProContact w/ eco plus. I just wish the Nokians were cheaper and were more widely available. I loved my Nokian i3s!

On the other hand, the $70 rebate from Michelin is tough to beat!

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am actually quite surprised that Costco was willing to install those tires since they are neither the OE size nor are they an approved +0, +1 or +2 fitment for your vehicle.

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They went with it without a fuss because I had 17" wheels on the vehicle and they are the correct fitment for those wheels. If I had come in with the OEM 15" wheel and asked for an oddball size I'm sure they would have refused.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great choice! I think that's the tire CT200h comes with.

1 person likes this.
  9. firemechanic

firemechanic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have over 5K on a set of MXM4's in the 215 45 17's

I can't say enough about the handling compared to the stock 15's and the wet weather handling is great. I run 42/40 for pressure. They are wearing good and the raised rim protector has already saved my rims from multiple curbs while parallel parking (I share the car with my significant other and she does not share the same care I have for my new rims).

Hard to comment on mileage. I went from stock 15's to aftermarket 17's with these tires and over the 5K+ miles I can confidently say that I have lost 3-4 miles per gallon with the wheel swap.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your input. I have a feeling I'll suffer the same loss but it's worth it to me. :)

11. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    620 treadlife is nice, that's about twice the stock tires. My stock tires are almost down to wear indicator both front and back at just under 25,000 miles. Pretty pathetic, to be certain.

12. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can't wait to wear the OEM's down enough so I can swap them out with Michelins.
    They are beautiful, and your Gen 2 is my fav. :)
    Michelins are the best tire I've ever driven on. They're a lot like driving a Prius; why would anybody buy anything else? :p

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, man! :)

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been complaining about my low MPG ever since I put the 17" wheels back on my car. I expected to get better MPG with the new tires but I have not. Today I went to put the 15s (dB Super E-Spec) back on to ensure nothing was wrong with the car and battery then I noticed this.

Despite the online tire size calculators stating the difference in size between the 185/65/15 and 215/45/17 is only 0.61%, this looks like a larger difference. Some of the difference is due to the Michelins being brand new and the Yokohamas being somewhat used but still. This is a good reason why new tires often drop MPG so significantly. :)
    [​IMG]

15. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Actually, more like chickie, or babe.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid