1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. bigblockcutlass

bigblockcutlass Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am looking for a new set of tire's, I Don't like the Goodyear Integrity, they seem loud and harsh. I was thinking about Michelin's seeing how they have worked so will for lasting and noise. I have the Defenders and Energy saver on the list. I see there are two different Energy saver tires for about $10 difference. one is a P185/65R15- 86T and 185/65R15- 88H. What is the difference? What are your opinion of these tire's?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    dorunron likes this.
  3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The 86T and 88H are load and speed (maximum) ratings. The number corresponds to a load rating and the letter to speed rating.

86T is 1170 lb and 118 MPH

88H is 1230 lb and 130 MPH

dorunron likes this.
  4. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    For what its worth, I really like my Primacy MXV4. Really soft ride but still good handling. No loss of fuel efficiency versus the OEM Goodyear Assurance, but presumably not as good as Energy Saver AS. The Primacy appears to be a much better overall tire based on ratings of factors other than fuel. Not for those who like "road feel". Then there's the new Premier A/S. Worth researching as a potentially better tire with fuel efficiency close to the Energy Saver. Not sure there's enough objective ratings and reviews to substantiate Michelin claims for this model yet.

dorunron likes this.
  5. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have Michelin Defenders on my Prius. They are great.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had the Michelin Energy Saver A/S 86T on our Gen II. They were great in all aspects. Definitely NOT a snow tire, so be aware of that if you live where the snow flies.

I also agree the Primacy MXM4 are GREAT tires. I have a set of them (low profile 17") on our new 2013 Gen III Model Three Prius. The Primacy is a little noisier on the highway than the Energy Saver, but MPG and handling are excellent on both tires.

Defenders are good tires, last a long time, but don't give as much MPG as the Energy Saver A/S or the Michelin Primacy MXM4 do.

Check the ratings on Michelins website. That say's it all where LRR comes into play.

Best of luck to you!

Ron (dorunron)

DSC01545.JPG

7. bordeaaj

bordeaaj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had a set of Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires for several years and they have given me great mileage and are still going strong. I would give them a strong recommendation, esp if you can get them on sale. I know Costco has Michelin's on sale regularly for $70 off per set in my area.

Someone mentioned that they aren't snow tires and that is true... the vast majority of all season tires will be next to useless in snow/ice. When we do get a little snow /ice in the Portland area (very little and not often) I switch over to the Michelin X-Ice. They work great and I was very surprised I was able to maintain about 50 mpg with the X-Ice tires.

dorunron likes this.