1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Michelin X Radial Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by offersk, Dec 2, 2005.

1. satsuke

satsuke Junior Member

My report on this specific tire ..

I have an 06 prius that was getting 47mpg with the stock tires (got 55,000 miles out of the integrity tires).

Got the X-Radials at costco for $430 for the set including taxes and balance / rotation / road hazard warrenty / nitrogen.

My average composite millage dropped to 42-44 mpg, with a noticeable increase in road noise. On the flip side, these tires are usable in rain and snow, whereas the stock tires were worthless in the odd snowstorm in Kansas.

The mileage has improved over the subsequent 8k miles, so now it's just under where it was before at 46-47mpg composite.

2. jrd909

jrd909 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    how did the hydroedge tires make out,i heard they produced to much noise
    i was looking at the michelin x and the hydros .thanks for any input you can give me.

3. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too bought the Michelin X at Costco in Danville Ca. Cost about 520$ I am more then satisfied. In the rain and snow the integrities were just awful. I live in the east bay of SF bay and while little snow we get rain in winter. I was downright freightened to drive on wet rads with the oem tires. Now The road manners now are far better and they grip in wet and snow. I have a second house in Tahoe and we spend time there in winter so snow performance is a must. I am very satsfied with these tires. I aso saw a decrease in milage after first installing the tires but after about 8K on them, I am now back up to my previous milage.
    A little expensive but overall I'm very happy.
    -Paul R. Haller-

1 person likes this.
  4. sportz

sportz New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had got my Prius 2007, Goodyear Integrity's replaced with Michelin X Radials from COSTCO this week; due to the unavailability of Michelin EnergySaver. I was expecting some hit in the millage; but to my surprise, it was same/better than the Integrity's. I would recommend any of the 2nd generation Prius folks to use this tire.

5. daveatm14

daveatm14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have about 30K miles on my Michelin X Radial tires. They are have low road noise, good on milage, great on rain and great on snow. Even wear and good handling. High milage ratting. Proper speed rating for the 05.

I purchased my 05 used and it had new bridgestone potenzeas on it. The potenzeas are a performance tire and too high of a speed rating for the 05. The bridgestones only lasted 20K before they cupped because the were too hard with the high speed rating.

6. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, I replaced mine worn out OEM w/ Michelin X radials about 1.5 years ago from Costco. I am very impressed with the Michelins in traction - both dry and wet conditions.

The first 2000 miles I notice mpg hasd dropped to 42- 44 mpgs, but since climbed back to 46 - 48 mpgs.

Hope this helps,

DBCassidy

7. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update, we have 2 Prius... an 05 and an 06 The 06 had Michelin radial X on them after I wore out the awful integritys and now I also have them on my 05. The 05 had Pirellis on it and they cupped so badly they had to be replaced at 15,000 miles. I'm happy with the Michelin X tires! Their handling on Ice and Snow is very good but where they really excel is in heavy rain. Man, I love these tires. They are extremely grippy in rain, to the point that I never feel at all uneasy even going 70MPH in a downpour. I drive over a wet curvy road to work each morning ...Fish ranch road and down to UCB . I can't tell you how many times I outright lost control of the Prius on wet roads with the integrity tires. Now, it's almost as if they are bolted down to the road all the squeemish behavior is gone and on the X they never give any sign they are unhappy unlike the integrity used to do by squealing and loosing traction. It's truly amazing that swapping the tires makes such a difference in the handling characteristics of an automobile.
    -Paul R. Haller-

2 people like this.