1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Midwest 2 Multi Meter / Combo Meter Repair ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Paul_G, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Paul_G

Paul_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am striking out with finding someone anywhere in the Chicago area that actually knows this issue and knows how to take apart the dashboard, remove the combo meter and replace the board. I have the board... I just need someone with knowledge of the issue that can replace it. I know that some of you say it's easy... I just don't have the confidence in myself to do it.... I'd rather pay someone $100 to do it for me. I bought the part from the fella in Weatherford TX and I'm about ready to road trip down there to have him do it... he says he can do it in about 30 minutes, which is why he only charges $75. But before I do that, does anyone here know of someone within like 500 miles of Chicago that is aware of this issue and knows how to get to the combo meter to replace the board?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well $75 seems really cheap. Not sure anyone around my area would risk messing up someone's car for $75. I'd say it's easy if you have the right tools to not mess things up. But you should prepare yourself for some broken vents, they are very brittle and will likely break when they are removed.

Paul_G likes this.
  3. Paul_G

Paul_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm not terribly concerned with broken vents.... I see they're fairly cheap. I'd rather have a broken air vent with a working multi meter.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well if you're ok with broken vents, you should just do it yourself. Watch a youtube video and it'll take you an hour or 2. But saves you time driving and you'll learn something

5. Paul_G

Paul_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I just may wind up doing that... but this isn't exactly my area of expertise. I'd rather just pay someone else to do it. How in the hell can there not be anyone in the entire Chicagoland area that is familiar with this problem and knows how to fix it? It's not like there's tens of thousands of these cars in northern IL.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I can't wait to see what happens with this I've been driving a car with the combination meter out for about a year through the pandemic I can get it to come back on so the guy in Texas says it's not the meter I've taken it out three times looked at it checked it put in one from another car all kinds of stuff that was working in the other car he's saying that it's something further down the line possibly a redundant 12 volt or something but he says because mine can come back on it's probably not the combination meter display unit a plug further down the line the plug that feeds that unit note there are two this is of interest to me but I can still get mine to come on with a hard reset

SM-A715F ?

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you say you already bought the replacement combination meter? If you did, all you have to do is remove the old one and put in the new part. I did it once and it really wasn't that bad. Take it slow and you'll be done in no time. Have you watched a youtube video and see how it's done?

8. Paul_G

Paul_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I do have the part.... and I did take a quick look at the video. I'm just not very confident about doing it myself.

9. Paul_G

Paul_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I spent 30 minutes on the phone with him..... he's confident that my problem is the board. Mine went off and on dozens of times over the past year and I've managed to get it to come back on.... sometimes it takes a while, but it does come back on eventually. Now I leave a door half open so that the dashboard light stays on.... which keeps the dashboard alive.

It's really a shame that Toyota didn't extend this recall.... they just don't care.

10. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It is a pain in the nice person The a pillar trim you have to pull off is really kind of crappy and you've got a twisted a certain way to roll it off the tab that holds it or else you break the piece behind it it'll still go back on but when it has to blow off for the airbags to go off it might hit you in the face trying to think if there's anything else that's about it really other than that it's pretty straightforward the screws come across make sure you get the vents out you can't get the radio and the MFD out until the vents are out A lot of them are going to break they're cheap enough not to worry like I say the other thing is if you can hard reset your car and get a display back even if it's just for a few minutes you may not have a display problem but if it's burned out and you haven't seen it in 3 years well then it may well be

SM-A715F ?

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've never done that what I do is I push the start button and turn my key button off down there below my steering wheel and then turn it back on and insert the thing into the slot and usually the dash lights right back up and the guy down in Texas this is why I find this forum interesting the guy down and takes I just got off the phone with him 4 months ago he told me that if your display comes back and you can do something to make it come back on and it stays on an hour a day overnight and you can reset it again and it comes back on it is probably not the resistor in my display or the capacitor or whatever these guys are replacing I've watched the video I've seen him do it I've seen a guy do it live right in front of me matter of fact one of these guys looked at mine when I had taken mine out I sent him detail close-up pictures and all because I thought looking at the board I thought oh yeah this capacitor right here's got to be bad it's yucky it looks like hell the guy was like no probably not and you can test it with your fluke. so that's cool so in perspective of all this you can get yours to reset to apparently or you've seen it a whole lot but the guys telling you oh yeah you need the $79 part or whatever it is I don't even care about the cost so that's two different opinions by the guy same guy was almost similar situation going on mine's an '09 $330,000 mi sometimes I get in the car to display as on and working fine sometimes not I drive up to the Home Depot the card does whatever it does I come out of the Home Depot push the button and the display is on if I hard reset the car because I'm just want to be an idiot the display comes back on I don't do that very much because I like my gas gauge and my miles odometer to stay when I hard reset all that goes back to zero very interesting we are talking to the same individual that runs the same business

SM-A715F ?

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well if you think about it, what other manufacturer do you know will extend a warranty for a car? You'll be hard press to think of any other company other than Toyota to do this. They extended this part coverage for 9 years so I think it's a bit unfair to say they don't care.

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've tried all the funny buis. Too undoing all those long azz white connectors cleaning yada yada .. nada what I can say is a gen2 is a wandaful terrarium. Beautiful droplets of water in morning except in a temp controlled garage

SM-A715F ?

14. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    McCormick Auto in Skokie, Illinois
    Cars of America in Glenview, Illinois
    Either one can do the work.
    Probably one hour shop time, less than $100

15. Paul_G

Paul_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I called both of these places, and both people I talked to don't have any idea about this problem.... do you know a name of someone at either place that has done this before.... knows exactly what the problem is and exactly what needs to be done to fix it?

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That will happen when someone randomly searches the internet for mechanics.

17. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is that what you do?
    I know both places and the people there. It could just be that they haven’t done that repair. Ask for Larry at McCormick.

18. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Follow the pics at the bottom of this link, or get a mechanically inclined friend to follow along. Or road trip down to Scottsburg Indiana, maybe phone first. 270 miles from you.

Prius MFD Touchscreen Repair

19. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I read were a guy bought a 7-in touch screen of someplace like eBay or electronic supply house for near nothing 50 bucks something like that and pretty much connected it to a Prius I think Gen 2 obviously and it did work with almost no electronics experiencing or a bunch of soldering or none of that stuff the display was exactly the same size it was not made for a Prius either it's made by machusta electronics or somebody the Panasonic people I think

SM-A715F ?