1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mildew and stains on paint chip guard (clear coat)?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by FrankTheTank, Aug 23, 2021.

1. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anyone seen this before? I assume I have to peel it off to clean it since I have tried every type of cleaner out there and nothing seems to work. In retrospect I am not sure if these extra guards were worth the money back when I bought this car new in 2012.....

Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Dang, was that clearcoated? If you can't get it off, you may just want to put down a protector, I have these on our 2017 and 2021 Prius'...

3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes. It is "upsell" junk.
    When mine was in the body shop for a minor "ding", I had them take all of it OFF.
    I don't think they even charged me to do that.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the chemicals used were too harsh on plastics, it could destroy it. If removing it, you might need to heat it up as you peel it off the bumper.

Useless options are always a way the dealer can make more money. Especially in today's crazy hot market, every car is loaded up with crazy options. Even if you buy the car at MSRP, the useless options will make the car way more expensive than it should be

Raytheeagle and FrankTheTank like this.
  5. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I recommend obtaining a product called Bestine (heptane), available on Amazon (expensive) or at art supply stores (less expensive...) and places like Staples. It is an organic solvent which will NOT affect paint or almost any plastic (including your problem). It will only attack the organic solvent holding the plastic to your bumper. Just work it in a bit at a time with a dropper or a paper towel (it's quite volatile, so you'll have to keep adding it). I've used it for about 40 years to good effect.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.41.26 AM.png

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This makes me think about those small zones of plastic overlay, on the rear side door openings.

one time I parked under a tree that was dripping pitch. What worked, albeit with a fair bit of elbow-grease, was a rag soaked (and wrung out) with kerosene, plus a dab of car polish.

#6 Mendel Leisk, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No need to remove it. Just get a spray paint can of white plasti-dip paint (aka: peelable paint) and spray it on... It is a very thick fast drying paint and takes touch ups spray on damage really well. It also peels off entirely if you want to put on a new coat.