1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage and my 2002 prius ????

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by EbonBetta, Aug 2, 2018.

1. EbonBetta

EbonBetta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok I bought this Prius and have fixed a few things as they have come it since I look at car value differently than Most people. The value of a car is very subjective and while I may have more than the resale value in the I believe I now have a car that will last a while. If I take care of it. Since I do not drive very long trips and the temps here are quite hot I', just curious if my MPG is much different than what I should get. I tend to use the ac every day except maybe the first trip in the morning to the dog park. My average trips are under 10 miles and more like 2 miles. So I thing that accounts for the lower than expected MPG.Usually around 35. But This past week when I drove the car to see people fly gliders 100 miles from home, and the coolant pump went out when I got home. I filled up the car right after fixing the car and the average for my fill up says I averaged 40.47 MPG doing the math buy dividing the miles since my last fill up to the now. This is not by any readings from the car just paper and pencil of what I put in against the readings on the odometer. So I would get my longer trip shows better mileage. And when the weather cools. Would mileage go up as I stop using the ac ?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, a/c uses the hybrid battery, recharged by gasoline.

but a/c is important to help cool the battery and keep it at max operating efficiency.

40mpg doesn't seem too bad for a 16 year old car, how many miles on her, what speeds were you going and what was the outside temp?

#2 bisco, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco the Gen 1 doesn't have an electric AC system like the 2004+. It's belt driven by the ICE. Same as the first gen Ford escape hybrid . AC takes a pretty good hit on MPG in the Gen 1.

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks aaron, i had no idea.:oops:

5. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You bet! It seems so odd for a hybrid synergy driven car not to have electric AC I'll admit :)

6. EbonBetta

EbonBetta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The car had 211,000 when I bought it as is. I tend to drive at or a little below the posted speed limit. Which means I'm the guy everyone in Ca hates. I drove from Palmdale to Longbeach and it is amazing that I may have passed 3 or 4 trucks driving 60 on the 14 freeway. speed limit is 65 with numerous signs that say "all vehicals 55 when towing". Most drive 70+ and the truckers match them.Then as you take the 5 and are going past los angelos the posted speed is 55 yet traffic only goes that speed when its rush hour and bumper to bumper.
    It is no surprise that Ca roads have not had a day without a fatal accident since the 70's

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is there a gen 1 roundup on fuelly?