1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage concern over New-toMe Gen 2

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by GTW, May 24, 2018.

1. GTW

GTW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello. I just purchased a 2008, Gen 2 Touring Prius with 126,000 miles. Outwards, it has some road rash expected of a car that age, but it drives well. I bought a Blutooth code reader, and used Dr. Hybrid to monitor the hybrid battery. Nothing seems amiss, except that the mileage appears to be a liitle low compared to what I have read from other owners regarding a Gen 2 car. Aside from the 70 miles of Highway driving coming back from the Seller, the remaining 80 miles have been city driving.

The car was topped-off after the sale, and the dash gauge is already indicating a little above half tank. By the reading on the MFD, I'm averaging a touch over 30MPG.

I realize a Prius has to be driven differently to take advantage of the hybrid combination, but I didn't think my driving sucked that badly.

There is uneven wear between front and back pairs of tires, but car steers straight as an arrow. I plan to replace, but was wondering if there are any aftermarket treads that are more economical than the 16" stock Touring tires.

Lastly, is there a diagnostic which would alert fuel conditions that are out of spec?

thank you.

2. GTW

GTW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I replaced the 4 tires with stock OEM(195/55 R16), and the average MPG has increased to over 35 (in 20 miles of city driving). I'm hopeful to regain a little bit more with a tuneup.

#2 GTW, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  3. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I replace the tires with stock 195/55 R16, and immediately the mpg is better. Also replaced the cabin air filter since that was an unknown. Slowly going down the checklist...