1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage for first coolant replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by icipi, Oct 13, 2021.

1. icipi

icipi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

My prius has around 68k miles and when preparing for what would come next I ran across a youtube video that recommends coolant (engine and inverter) be changed at 50k miles interval regardless. The scheduled maintenance from Toyota says 100k miles for the first, and 50k miles after. Would you recommend doing it as early as 50k for the first one?

Thank you.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your choice.

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have the service schedule in from on me, ususally it will say "X" amount of mile OR "X" amount
    of months. If you have a 2015, that's 6 years. It's probaly due, because of time.
    It is best to look at the maintianence schedule booklet that came with the car to check on that.
    It certainly won't hurt to change them early though.

4. Colorado Boo

Colorado Boo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You can buy a coolant tester at any Auto Parts store. Most have little round colored balls and depending on which one rise to the top it will let you know what temperature range the coolant is good for. In my 2014 Tundra, the gauge said I was only protected down to -10 but we can get -20 here in Colorado so I changed it out, using Toyota Super Long Life coolant....2 gallons did the job. (
    For a Prius, you might as well change the coolant in the radiator and the hybrid inverter engine..it's the same coolant and right next to each other down below where you drain them. I haven't done one on a Prius, yet (our oldest is a 2017) but looks like 2 gallons should be more than enough (I'll be changing our Priis out every 5 years.)