1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage in 20s???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by shankyyy, Dec 15, 2010.

1. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What kind of BMW was it? I find it hard to believe a BMW( all i can think of is v8 sporty cars) can get over 16mpg running at speeds over 100mph.

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It all depends how cars are geared. If M3 has a very tall top gear, the engine could loaf at 100 MPH. I don't know what RPM Prius runs at 100 MPH, but I bet it's high. It's not made for high speed driving.

5. shankyyy

shankyyy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    SO, the bigger question to be answered is, is PRIUS better for short trips and less mileage, or relativley longer trips with higher mileage? In the former, you drive less and consume less gas, but in the latter you get higher mileage, so the cost/mile is lesser here.

6. ChiTownKel

ChiTownKel New Member

I have the same problem...just bought my 07 Prius last week. Half a tank gone and all I'm getting is 22 mpg, city and hwy. Very disturbing! I park outside and its winter now in Chicago. Temps are subzero to about 30 for the past week. I warm it up for 5 mins while cleaning snow off. I have the heat set to MAX b/c I need the warmth (takes forever to warm up seems like). I use cheapest gas to fill it up - should I be using better gas?

I drive "pulse and glide" style while watching the computer display. It SAYS I'm getting 65 mpg and 99 mpg often - but the reality is that I've gone through a half tank of gas and only driven 100 miles. Wondering what I'm doing wrong. Please help. Thanks.

NOTE: my car is at dealership now, getting recall stuff done while still under its 3 year warranty. Anything I can have dealership do to get better mileage?

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Compared to regular cars, Prius is better for both kinds of trips.

But for the shorter trips, a Nissan Leaf will be even better than a Prius.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Start reading here. All of this stuff has been gone over a million times so hopefully you'll find this useful.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/14701-new-owner-want-mpg-help-read-first.html

Also look in the GenII Fuel Economy section as the information is just as relevant for the GenIII. :)

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Some of us find warm-up for 5 minutes disturbing.

Thankfully, we can all find comfort that winter doesn't last forever. Warmer weather returns in a few months, the MPG shoots up. So, you're still using less gallons-per-year anyway.

Of course, this begs the question of what your previous vehicle delivered.

10. ChiTownKel

ChiTownKel New Member

Thanks all. I've been lurking here for a while reading as much as I can about hypermiling before taking the plunge of buying a Prius.

My old car was my feet :) so I was really banking on the Prius getting 45 to 60 mpg right off the bat, so as not to feel too guilty about driving. 22 mpg is pretty sad.

Could running the radio be contributing to my bad MPG??? Asked dealer to inflate tires to 40 PSI but they said you can't inflate past 35 PSI.

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    22mpg is about the worst I've ever seen on a Prius and that includes those living in extreme climates. I would suggest running a full tank and see how your mileage works out. If it continues to be horrid then look into grill blocking, engine block heaters and combining trips so you are not constantly in and out of the car. I was forced to run a bunch of short mileage errands this weekend and it wrecked the MPG on this tank.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Toyota factories can certainly inflate to 40 psi, and my dealer didn't bother to lower it.

While traveling, and over my objection, a different dealer lowered it to 40 psi, highway hot at 6000 feet. Unfortunately, cold at sea level, that becomes several psi underinflated.