1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage per tank

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by spm2, Mar 8, 2008.

1. spm2

spm2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    New here, seriously looking at finally getting a Prius.

One question I have, is how much mileage/kilometres do you guys get per tank on average?

There's probably quite a range, but say for a Prius newbie, someone that has had for 1 year or two and the hypermilers!

Thanks! Great community here!

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In short, these days I'm getting at least 500 miles, and often over 700 in the summer. Click the GreenHybrid or CleanMPG banners in my sig for a listing of all tanks going back almost two years.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Obviously it varies, and with a high mileage vehicle like the Prius, the actual mileage variation is greater than with a gas guzzler. Let's do the math:

The U.S. Prius tank holds 11.9 gallons gross, but some of that is unusable due to the internal tank bladder. To be conservative, let's say you can use 10 gallons (most people will be able to use a bit more than that). In the summer with our driving conditions, we average 55 mpg, so that equals 550 miles. On the highway we might average 45 mpg, so that would work out to 450 miles. Your mileage will vary, but it will be in that range. Mostly we find that we need to stop for other reasons anyway before we run out of gas. It's not a good idea to sit in a car for hours and hours without moving about.

Tom

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Why?

350 miles in mild winter and 450 in the summer.

I see no benefit from pushing further.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    for your location, i would say 350 to 450 in winter, 450 to 600 in summer. use the MFD... assume a 10 gallon tank and you will be ok. (keep in mind the blinking pip overrides all though!!) and have fun

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My mom's answer is that she hates pumping gas, so the more miles per tank the better.

7. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've gotten as much as 1056.5 miles without running out and put 12.162 gallons in according to the pump.

8. Linden

Linden New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So 500 miles is about 800 KM .. I really can't wait to get a Prius! Right now in my 3 I can only get about 450 KM (from a 55 L tank.. only ever takes about 45 L to fill though) .. so getting 800 KM on less gas is going to be such a bonus!

If I don't sell my car privatley in the next 2 weeks, I'm going to trade it in and get my Prius! (although I'll be losing a bit of money trading it in .. its worth it because I'll have my Prius!!)

9. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not one to tempt fate, nothing feels a whole lot more foolish than being dead on the roadside, gas-can in hand, thumb extended, next to an out-of-gas mileage-champ Prius!! I usually fill up when I still have two pips on the gauge.

I've sometimes wondered why Toyota didn't consider putting a really big gas tank into the Prius. My Tacoma has a 21 gallon tank which gives it decent range (at 22-23mpg) for a small pickup, but still less than a Prius with a tank half that size. Wouldn't it be something if the Prius had a 20 gallon tank? I realize that the extra weight, space required, etc., would all be negatives, but still......it'd be fun to be able to drive close to 1000 miles between fill-ups.

10. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I can get this consistently, and the secret is 42/40 psi, 60-65 Mph and exploit the 'stealth' and 'glide' abilities built into this amazing car.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
  11. Jim S

Jim S Jim S

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just got ours last week and so far in our winter climate and at 2300 ft elevation is western Virginia (mucho hills), we are getting avg 50.0 for first 200 miles with 42/40 tire psi. This includes about half interstate driving at 65 mph.....not too shabby.
    Jim

12. spm2

spm2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for all the info! Wow, I'm getting around 400kms/250 miles these days (in winter) on my mustang and thats with 50L, cant wait for my Prius!

13. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hey...........here's my bottom line, first tank full = 45 mpg,

second tank full, 41 mpg.

yes, i read the articles about pulse, glide, warp, etc,,,,,,this is just real world......and yes, i live in sunny so-cal where it's been 75+, today was
    about 83+ degrees. that's my real world,............and NO i dont floor it.

it is what it is and i get what i get.

am i happy? YES. it's MUCH better than my gluttonous cadillac!

14. saminjax

saminjax Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tomorrow, I will have had mine for one week. I haven't been to the gas station yet. My average MPG is currently 47.6 and I'm quite new at this. I've gone 420 miles and I still have a quarter of a tank left. It didn't even come off of "F" until 104 miles. It holds about 10 gallons, I'm told, so I'm very pleased - amazed, actually.

Aside from the gas, though, this is a wonderful car. It is roomy, fun to drive, has great pick-up when you need it, an outstanding stereo system, and much more. Before I bought mine, I read that this car has been the #1 consumer rated car for three years in a row. I now understand why. Get yourself one. You will never regret it.

15. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Lowest I know of was 200 mi from full to E
    Highest know of was 1300 mi from full to E

Most will get from 30-50 MPG giving around 350-450 a tank. But you can do much better... and much worse...

Not a Newbie, but my tanks are usually between 600 and 700 miles. My gas budget is $30 / month.

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to put a 4 gallon bigger tank in mine so I get better economy.

17. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wouldn't the weight of the additional four gallons result in reduced fuel economy? Surely you would get more miles out of a tank but I don't see how adding gallons would improve economy.

..................​

I got 40.7 on my first tank and am averaging 45 on my second.

18. NorCal Rusty

NorCal Rusty RatherBWakeboarding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My car is 2 weeks old today and tank #1 was 41mpg while tank #2 was 44.5mpg. The car is great. Get one now!

19. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good day............

i think what i need to learn efficiently here is to get good mileage in city driving. i read efusco's article about accelerating relatively briskly.....but this seems to use fuel. maybe i dont know how to deadband, but the alternative is to drive like a turtle.........dont want to do this...........

please tell me how you people are getting 48+ mpg and what technique is being used to get good mpg, city driving.

when driving in traffic, is it good to try to use ONLY the electric motor?

when driving a slight incline, do you keep the throttle steady or do you accelerate, then coast, then accelerate again? what are good driving techniques here?

thanks!

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you would understand how squeezing a few extra miles from a tank doesn't improve economy then. This is my point.