1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage takes a hit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Batavier, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Batavier

Batavier Member

Yesterday I drove my girlfriend, my sister and her boyfriend (and myself :) ) to a theme park. In itself this is a happy occasion, but darn did my mileage take a hit!
    My sister and her boyfriend aren't very heavy: I don't think they added more than 120 kgs to the total weight of the car. With only my GF and me in the car I don't notice that much difference compared to when I'm alone in the car, but with 120 kgs extra the car did noticably worse on the highway at speeds of around 120 km/h. Normally I would have an average of 4.8 to 4.9 liter/100km, now the average was something like 5.8 liter/100 km.

What are your experiences with extra 'weight' in your car?

2. kjb516

kjb516 New Member

This summer, I took my Prius on a 1,400 mile round trip tour of southern Oregon with 3 people and quite a bit of luggage. My MPG took a hit upon my first fill up, but this appeared to have more to do with the fact that all of these miles were highway speeds, not the weight I was carrying.

During the rest of the trip on mostly secondary roads, my MPG returned to normal despite the additional weight and the significant altitude changes.

3. Batavier

Batavier Member

* nods *

Then for my situation it must have been the highway speeds combined with the extra weight. :)

The tank ended up being 48.97 MPG. Not bad considering that most of it was on highways.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They could have taken a Bus or a bicycle ( you live in a small country as apposed to the western US States that is). Hits on your M.P.G. is not an excuse for hauling around those extra butts. Surely your girl friend will understand this!

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Batavier,
    Let me ask you this one simple question: have you proposed this weight question to your girlfriend? I would recommend that you not.

6. Batavier

Batavier Member

I did suggest they take the train, but they wouldn't hear of it. Darn them. :)

I don't think that would be wise, Tony, I'd like to stay alive and drive my Prius... :D

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes HEAVY Sigh. I understand. You are trapped. What can you do?

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Batavier:

just a quick question... how cold is it getting to be in your area? you might want to consider the reduced mpg's could be the result of the change in gas formula. if that is the case, get used to it, the good ole days of high mileage summer driving is over... for about 6 months anyway.

9. Batavier

Batavier Member

Still between 15 and 20 degrees C. Won't get much under 10 for the coming months. Winters over here aren't that cold. Hardly ever really gets cold. We may have a few days of freezing, but hardly ever more than a few degrees below 0.

So all in all I don't think the forumla has changed yet, but it's good to keep that in mind.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Batavier\";p=\"40247)</div>
    Whereabouts in Holland are you located? I have all these visions from my childhood - mostly from reading - about all the little Dutch boys and girls ice skating on frozen canals.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you thinking of Hans Brinker and the Silver Skates??

when i was there it was cold and there was snow on the ground although as i recall, it didnt snow much there.

in fact their climate is similiar to Western WA

12. Batavier

Batavier Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(10132003\";p=\"40372)</div>
    Whereabouts in Holland are you located? I have all these visions from my childhood - mostly from reading - about all the little Dutch boys and girls ice skating on frozen canals.
    [/b][/quote] In the East of the Netherlands, between Arnhem and the German border.

And we mostly have a few weeks (in January / February) when it gets pretty cold, but if there's over 10 to 15 cm snow it's a lot. Most of that cold time there's only a few centimeters of snow.

13. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

One of the first recommedations for increasing mpgs is reducing weight by not carrying stuff you don't need. The Prius is no exception (otherwise the hood, rear hatch, and wheels would be made of steel instead of aluminum). People add weight, so evidently carrying people reduces mpgs.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the people factor is why i am averaging 55.9 mpg over my last 3 tanks. i have not had a single passenger in that time.

i must admit i have a slight dread over the expected performance hit the changeover in gasoline will have, my current tank is at 58.5 mpg and it is about 80% freeway driving. (here that means between 35-70 mph)

as always when driving i used the cruise control and coast as much as possible during the inevitable slowdowns at freeway interchanges, but for a short period of time when the tank was at 99+% freeway, i was in the low 60's. i have never done so well on the freeway for that long a distance (110 miles) before.

previously i had always averaged bet 51-53 mpg but nearly always had a passenger and a few times had a few computers i was hauling. didnt think the computers were heavy enough to matter. (LCD here no CRTS)

15. prius04

prius04 New Member

I'd like to make a comment on the "hits" people get to their mileage when the temperature changes or they have more people in the car.

To me, this is all to be expected. Toyota has found a perfect balance to this Prius. They've set the computer to adapt to the situation.

In a regular car, it is totally overpowered 95% of the time. All that horsepower to move a single passenger and tons too much steel. So when you then go and stress that vehicle up closer to it's limits, you don't see as much of a "hit" on the MPG because when all filled up, the horsepower/weight ratio is closer to what it's designed for.

Toyota has designed the Prius to match the conditions. When the various "loads" are low, i.e. no passengers, mild climate, no headlights and no wipers or defrost on, the computer matches that load and shuts the gasoline engine off more often. So you get great MPG. But the car can easily deal with all those stressors and it does that by using up more gas. But it only happens when it HAS TO and not 24/7 like other cars.

So I say don’t feel bad when you “stress†your Prius and then see a “hit†on the MPG. Take solace in the fact that you only see these “hits†when the computer feels the car needs that extra gas to do the added work, and that your car is smart enough to know the difference. Unlike the other 99% of the vehicles out there that can’t adapt and are taking that “hit†24/7, independent of any added load.

Again, what a great car.

16. Batavier

Batavier Member

True, prius04. Of course the car takes a hit when there's more stuff and/or people in it. I'm certainly not complaining about my lovely Preto Prius, I was just curious how bad the mileage gets hit in other people's Prius. :)

It's good to see so many people that love this car (not only on this site, but on many sites all over the world). I always tell my GF that it's "soooo last century" to have a car that has an engine that doesn't shut down when it's not needed to run.

:mrgreen: Darn, I feel smug driving this car. :D

17. CHART

CHART Member

Speaking of MPG taking a hit, it was 45 degrees in the DC region this morning. While I didn't see the rascal appear today, it got me thinking about our old friend...