1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage vs time for service visits?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Frank O, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Frank O

Frank O Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2011 Prius has about 33,500 miles on it. In the past I drove it enough so that my 5,000-mile maintenance visits took place about every five months. Recently, though, I haven't been driving it as much, so I won't hit the 35,000-mile mark until about 7 or 8 months after the last maintenance visit at 30,000 miles.

My local dealer has been emailing me, saying that maintenance is required every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes sooner. This week marks six months since the last visit. Is this true that this is a requirement to keep the warranty enforced? The maintenance schedules for all my past cars were by mileage only.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bring it in at 35,000 and no warranty issues will occur. All they are going to do is look it over, maybe top off fluids, rotate your tires and try to up-sell other services...most not needed. However at "minimum" have them drain and fill (there is no flush with a Prius) the transmission fluid as the need is well documented. Should cost no more than $99.99. They may balk at this, but this one is needed. I know what mine was like and it was scary that Toyota thinks their fluid is lifetime. I am also a firm believer that DOT 3 brake fluid is way past it's prime with your mileage and age, so consider a brake flush as well. Toyota has just changed to 30,000 mile brake flushes starting with the 2014 Prius "likely" due to the rash of documented brake issues with the Gen III's. This should also cost no more than $99.99. These prices are what mine charged, but I have heard higher so negotiate with the Service Adviser.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ignore the dealer. every 5,000 for tyre rotation is fine and oil at 10k or at least once/year.