1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mileage w/ECO Mode (Houston-Ft Stockton)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by DoubleDAZ, Jun 6, 2015.

1. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure what to make of these numbers, but I thought I'd post them to add to the discussion about using or not using ECO mode.

Back in January, we drove from Phoenix AZ to Cocoa Beach FL and got the following mileage between Ft Stockton and Houston. I did not use ECO mode on this trip.
    Ft Stockton to Selma 34.8 mpg @ 68 mph
    Selma to Houston 39.3 mpg @ 67 mph
    Avg 36.3 mpg

Just last week, we drove from Richmond Hill GA to Phoenix AZ and got the following mileage between Houston and Ft Stockton. I decided to try using ECO mode for this trip.
    Houston to San Antonio 46.1 mpg @ 70 mph
    San Antonio to Ft Stockton 39.5 mpg @ 77 mph
    Avg 41.8 mpg

Note: San Antonio and Selma are essentially the same, just different service stations along Hwy 1604. Cruise control set at 2-3 mph over the limit was used wherever possible.

I realize these trips were in opposite directions and at different times of the year, so I'm not sure how much the wind/cold in January may have affected the first set of numbers. However, I'm encouraged that even running up to 9 mph faster, I was able to get 5.5 mpg more using ECO mode. We will be making the trip back to Richmond Hill GA next month and I'm going to try to duplicate most of the 2nd trip to see what numbers I get then. I'm already semi-convinced that using ECO mode results in 3-5 mpg more, but I have to say that there were times in traffic when ECO mode left a lot to be desired, though I muscled through without switching it off. I don't have a regular commute, so it's very difficult to make many comparisons and draw conclusions, so I'm left with subjective opinions. :)

2. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The ECO mode has little if any effect on mileage. It simply changes the accelerator sensitivity. In ECO mode you have to push the accelerator further to get the same amount of power as when the ECO mode is off. If you have a "heavy foot" the ECO mode may tame you down a bit :)

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The waters get muddied by what ECO is (or isn't) doing, with things like cruise control sensitivity, AC performance. But in the main yeah: ECO just modifies gas pedal travel and result, makes it harder to get a reaction. Overly so for me, don't use it. Well, I did for about the first 3 months. Then left it off while we were on a road trip vacation, didn't see any difference, so left it off.

4. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I preferred eco. Hardly ever take it out. On my second over 1000 kil. tank driving in eco at present. It just makes it less effert to do good numbers. Our gas prices just hit $ 1.27 per liter . Holiday fokes so they have to get greedy again. Dam oil companies. H

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ours just dropped to $1.27. Big city prices, lol.

6. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry, I know what ECO mode does and didn't say it alone increases mileage. However, saying it has little affect on mileage is misleading IMHO. While it doesn't directly affect mileage, it helps many drivers accelerate more slowly because of the reduced accelerator sensitivity without having to think about doing so or watch the display, etc. I found it particularly helpful in heavy traffic to keep from constantly accelerating/braking. The reduced sensitivity kept me from accelerating only to hit the brakes and the drive through Houston and San Antonio traffic was more relaxed during this trip. Obviously, if one presses the accelerator that much harder, turns the A/C fan speed higher, etc., it negates the effects of ECO mode and is basically useless. However, since I'm not in a hurry, use cruise control on the highway, etc., it seems to have helped me increase my mileage and that's my only point. Use it or don't use it, makes no difference to me. I intend to use it on our trip next month to get some more data to analyze and then decide what to do in the future.

#6 DoubleDAZ, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can appreciate that. I didn't like it when I experimented with it when we first bought the car last year, it was enough just to get used to the reduced power of the Prius. But now that I'm used to that, I no longer find ECO mode all that bad. Different strokes I guess and I still might go back to not using it.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, if you have something empiracle, a daily commute, try resetting trip B day after day, with/without ECO. With ECO I almost found it harder to control, there's a certain range of muscle contraction that's easy and controllable, if you have to exceed that range you tend to get more erratic. Well that's my theory, anyway, haha.

9. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And that first part is the key point. If you are already adept at getting good numbers, ECO mode probably won't do much, if anything, for you. I just drive the car, so ECO seems to have helped me get better numbers and that's my only point.

I was surprised to find that gas prices here were some of the more expensive on the trip at $2.699/gal. I know that's cheap compared to yours and I understand that we switched over to the more expensive summer blend, but it's still frustrating to see prices fluctuate the way they do and see them vary so much across the country.

HaroldW likes this.
  10. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately, no regular commute, so empirical data just isn't in my future. When I tested ECO mode the first time, my experience was basically the same as yours. But now that I've gotten used to the Prius, I'm not having the same experience. I have actually grown to like the reduced response of the Prius in general and don't much care for driving my truck or faster cars these days. I find the slower pace of the Prius to be more relaxing and it just fits my current driving style, especially on trips. ECO mode isn't that comfortable in stop and go traffic though, so I do turn it off at times.

#10 DoubleDAZ, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the detailed explanation regarding my statement. "If you have a "heavy foot" the ECO mode may tame you down a bit".

12. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just completed a round trip to Erie, Pa from Dallas, Tx. On the way to Erie route was up thru Ok,Mo,ind,and Ohio , mostly flat running. Tires at 40/40 speed 75 to 85 mph. Got 47 mpg. On the way back southern route thru Ky, Tn, Ar. A lot more hilly and mountains. Back loaded with about 400 lbs we didn't have we didn't have on the way up. Tires at 35/35 lbs. .Got about 44 mpg. Ride much smoother and quieter. No diff. in handling at 75 to 85 mph. Excellent wet traction both to and from Erie( rained hard there and back.) Diff in mpg I think was from hilly route and extra weight. Notice smother ride now with extra weight gone. Absolutely no diff in city mpg from 40/40 to 35/35 psi.195/65-15Yokohama AVID Ascend tires with about 10,000 miles on them. Used cruise control as much as possible and did not use ECO mode Just in normal mode. Drove it like i would any other car.

13. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've often wondered about the tire pressure at highway speeds. After we get to Georgia on our next trip, I might reduce mine to what's on the door and see if/how it affects mileage on the way back home. Like this post, the test won't be scientific, but it may still tell me something.

lar.smith42 likes this.
  14. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm running my Ecopia ep 20 @ 35 -34 with the same fe. Tires may not last as long, but the car feels much more comfortable. H

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've taken our 215/45R17 Michelin Pilots down a bit, from 36~38 psi, to 34 psi all around. This is pretty close to the recommended pressure for the 17": 33/32 f/r. Fuel economy doesn't seem to have suffered. I suspect it has a bit, and with weather warming it's masked a bit. But the 17" have a rough ride, and it's nice to smooth out a bit. Also, I think it's less stress on suspension, bearings, etcetera.

#15 Mendel Leisk, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    HaroldW and lar.smith42 like this.
  16. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I'm at 925 kilometers and two pips left. Looks like another 1000 kil. tank. All on eco. Works for me. H

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, but you could do that in PWR mode, Harold. :ROFLMAO:

lar.smith42 likes this.
  18. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, probably Mendel, but I'm happy with eco mode. Retired and in no hurry! H

19. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Nobody, (or at least I didn't notice anyone) talked about the effect of head winds, they can really screw up your highway mileage.

20. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Using power mode, 2010 Prius, I get the same mpg as eco. Also if you use your computer readout for mpg it will be off at least 3 mpg; so 45 mpg on computer dash readout is 42 mpg actual. My mpg during June is (calculated) 57 mpg computer readout 60.1.